Skip to main content

If Every Day Could Be Like This

I have to admit, I was dreading starting back to school today. I thoroughly enjoyed our two week break, and I know the kids did, too. We enjoyed sleeping in late, sitting in bed drinking coffee (me, not the kids), playing video games in our pjs (the kids, not me), and leisurely going about our days.

This morning when the alarm went off at 6 a.m., it actually scared me! I woke up wondering what the heck it was!

But, I drug myself up, had my quiet time, went for a walk, came home and showered and got ready for the day, and just got right to it. Eli DID NOT want to go back to school. In fact, he cried and I had to walk him in to his class. I thought, "Uh oh. This day is going to be tough."

But, when I got home, Dawson immediately came downstairs and was ready to get started. And he kicked it all day!

We started reading our current read-a-loud, then he watched the next episode of his history dvd. He answered the questions and did vocabulary. Then he went upstairs and did his algebra, grammar, and critical thinking. He came downstairs for lunch and when he was finished, started on his new Literature reading. I didn't even have to yell upstairs to him to come finish up his work. He came downstairs and did a photosynthesis animation on the computer and answered the questions. THEN he said, "Let me tell you the answers," and he read me what he had just done, almost with a proud smirk on his face. Lastly, we all sat down together and did our notebooking page on our latest artist.

While he was doing his work, Brynne completed her grammar, handwriting, and spelling. Then we did half of the packet from her new unit on canines. She read the rest of her book she had been working on and then did math. Then she joined us for art.

All the while, I was doing laundry, dusting, cleaning the kitchen, giving the dogs a bath, and cleaning their room. I got so much accomplished!

At exactly 3:15 p.m. they were done with their school work and ran upstairs to spend the rest of the afternoon and evening playing video games.

I'd like to say I am done for the day, but I am getting ready to go pick up Eli and I am sure we will have spelling words to practice, and he'll have to read.

But when that's done, I'm going to fix an easy dinner of calzones, grab a glass of wine, and hit the couch for some R & R with my husband. I know he's tired, too, and ready to veg out.

I wish every single day could be just like this.

I'll start praying for tomorrow RIGHT NOW!

How have you done getting back into the post-Christmas schedule?

Comments

  1. sounds like a great day ~ and while everyone enjoyed a break, it is clear they crave schedule, too.

    We have had a good week so far ... slowly getting back into things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go, Dawson! Go, Dawson! How mature and responsible he is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love days like that! =)
    Our first week was going smoother than it was planned out to be (as in not-so-planned)...
    Have a beautiful week end!
    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a