Skip to main content

Wednesday Hodgepodge




I'm getting my Hodgepodge answers up late this evening because we have had a crazy week! I'm in bed super early with my book, my crossword, and my computer, just chilling.

Do you find yourself influencing your world, or is it more the other way around?

I am a hermit, and I really do not let in a whole lot of the world. When I am out, I pretty much try to keep to myself. (I used to not be that way, but I totally am now.) My greatest sphere of influence would be my children, so I would say that I am influencing the world through them.

July 14th is National Tape Measure Day ... the device was patented on this date in 1868. When did you last use a tape measure? Do you always know where to find one in your house? Tell us one way in which you feel blessed 'beyond measure'.

A couple of weeks ago I used a sewing tape to measure the inseam of Chad, the friend of Dawson's who is now living with us. He was getting ready to start a new job and we needed to order him some khaki pants. He had no idea what size pants he wore, so we had to measure. That tape is usually in the hall closet or in the basket on my microwave. We have regular tape measures, but they are usually moved around and I don't want to look for them. There are so many blessings in my life, but I am feeling especially blessed as we (and by that I really mean Rick) are making huge strides toward pursuing a dream of mine. It's really going to happen, and without Rick and his love for me it never would have.

The Plaza Hotel (Eloise), The Land of Oz (The Wizard of Oz), Narnia (The Chronicles of Narnia), The Hundred Acre Wood (Winnie the Pooh), Wonderland (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland), or Never Never Land (Peter Pan) ... which storybook land (one this list!) would you most like to visit and why?

Definitely the peace, love, and serenity of The Hundred Acre Wood. I don't want to be anywhere hoity toity, scary, mystical, strange, scary, or dangerous. I do anything to create peace in my life.

Where and when do you get your best ideas?

In the mornings, in the shower or when putting on my makeup. I can solve all the greatest problems of the world in those moments.

So what have you been watching on TV this summer? Anything good?

I pretty much watch the Kansas City Royals play baseball every night. I think the only thing I have set to record on my DVR right now is Food Network Star and Chopped. If I am not watching the Royals then I am reading. And when they aren't playing good, which has been a lot lately, I read while the game is on.

'Don't swim for an hour after you eat', 'Dog days of summer', 'Knee high by the fourth of July' ... choose a summer saying from the list or share one of your own, then tell us what image or memory comes to mind when you hear it spoken.

"Don't feed a baby watermelon in its first summer." My mom has always said this because my Grandma Alice always said it. It's an old wives' tale, I guess. I have a feeling Bennett will be getting watermelon next summer because we all love it so much, especially his mama. Sorry Grandma.

In a simple sentence, sum up one life lesson you've learned.

This week I read a quote by Joyce Meyer ... "It changes everything in your life when you know that God loves you unconditionally." This is so true, especially when you realize that a good portion of those in your life, whom you expect to love you unconditionally, really don't. Knowing that God does takes away the pain.

Insert your own random thought here.

Please be praying for Collin's younger brother, Austin, who was in a serious rollover car accident on Sunday night. He received a spinal cord injury that has left him with paralysis from the waist down. He was severely burned on one of his arms, had a collapsed lung, broke his collar bone, and lost some teeth. We praise God that He is alive! He has had a spine stabilization surgery and will have a skin graft on his arm tomorrow. He has a very long road to recovery, but is a strong kid with a positive attitude so we know he will come through this just fine. Please pray that all infections will be kept at bay, that he will continue to heal, and that the poor prognosis in regard to his paralysis is just plain wrong! Also, Collin's sister Paige is due to deliver her second baby in the next couple of weeks. And, of course Kyndal is also pregnant and due in 9 weeks. This family has a lot on its plate right now. We would appreciate your prayers for all of the family .. Tracey and Pam (Collin's parents), Spencer and Paige, Collin and Kyndal, and especially Austin. Prayer works!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a