Skip to main content

Tuesday Coffee Chat





Three things on your Summer To Do List ...

I covered some of this last week on Wednesday Hodgepodge but it was more in relation to us as a family. On this post I will get more specific about some things I am doing, as the adult Nicole who has a life outside her children and extended family.

1. This Saturday morning Kyndal and I are flying to Las Vegas to see Backstreet Boys in concert! This will be our 4th time. I believe we have seen them on every American tour they have had. The first time was in 1999 on Kyndal's 5th birthday. We saw them in Kansas City. When Kyndal was 16 we went with my sister and niece to see them with New Kids on the Block in Tulsa. That was the funnest thing I have ever done in my life, bar none! Then we saw them at an outdoor concert at Starlight Theatre in Kansas City just a couple of years ago. It never gets old. We scream like teenagers every time they come out onto the stage and sing and do the choreography like we are part of the band. Groupies all the way!



2. We will head to the lake with our Okie friends at the end of July and beginning of August for our annual Lake School week. This is my favorite week of the year. Megan and I do all of our homeschool planning for the year, drink wine, read, and relax. The kids (ages 13, 12, 11, 10) play the Wii, swim, play board games, read, and just have fun! We always try to do some kind of lesson while we are there. Last year was an Olympic theme. This year we are thinking of doing some lessons and activities using MythBusters.

3. I have some 5Ks planned and even my first 10k! Brynne, my mom, and I will run the KC Royals 5k in August. In September I will run the KC Zoo Run, which is four miles, and the kids and I will then run the 1 mile Fun Run. Then the next weekend I will be running my first 10k with some ladies from my Insanity Live! class and running group.

Of course there are the regular summer activities with kids ... camps, swimming, relaxing. We are also heading to Dallas in a week to attend the National Stuttering Conference for the first time.

Busy, busy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...