Skip to main content

When Father's Day is Hard


Father's Day is a tough day for me. It's the one day each year when I am confronted with all of my greatest failures, with my weaknesses. It is the day that I understand that my best is not good enough.

I spend the day thinking about all of the mistakes I have made in relationships, and owning them. But I also lament in the fact that many of the relationships were fractured when I was doing what I truly believed was best for me and my children, when I was doing things for all the right reasons. Maybe I was right, maybe I was wrong. I am sure it's been a little bit of both.

I am like anybody else. I just want to be loved and accepted for who I am, despite my mistakes, and maybe even in spite of them. Unfortunately, that has not been the case in my life.

So what do I do with that?

I try really, really hard to remember that God loves me unconditionally, and He always will. He will not leave me, He will not forsake me, He won't even be mad at me. When I am victorious He will be my biggest cheerleader. And when I fail He will say, gently, "well, that's not exactly the path you probably should have taken, but it's okay .. it will be okay ... I love you, and I always will."

I am thankful for such a faithful Father.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a