Skip to main content

Daybook




Many, many years ago I started participating in the Simple Woman's Daybook. It was here that I made friends, shared my soul, and started my consistent journey of blogging. I desperately miss blogging. This morning I felt pulled back to the Daybook. So, for today ...

Looking out my window ... This past weekend I moved my bedroom around, flip-flopped my sleeping area and workspace. Now when I sit in bed sipping my coffee in the mornings I can look out the window. Since I am upstairs, all I really see is a tree across the street, which is perfect! It gets me into nature first thing in the morning.

I am thinking ... about so. many. things. I'm a thinker, an internalizer. This is why I really need to get back into a consistent habit of blogging.

I am thankful ... for my life. That is truth. I have a home I love, a job I love, children who fulfill me, the most amazing and entertaining grandson ever, books to read, wine to sip. This is a good life.

One of my favorite things ... is my morning quiet time before the day begins.

I am wearing ... pj shorts, a tank top, and my summer robe. It's cold in my bedroom. I have to cover up in the mornings because it's chilly, but I have to keep it chilly because by mid-afternoon it will be 80 degrees up here, even with the air conditioner blowing at full speed.

I am creating ... the home I always wanted ... STILL! Next month it will be ONE YEAR since we started our renovations. It has been an awful experience, one I will NEVER do again! We STILL have projects for our contractor to complete. I had to get a different contractor to finish the job because it just wasn't getting done with the other one. Now we are mostly left with trim, paint, and finishing the new staircase. I know that seems so close, yet it is still so far away.

I am watching ... Grey's Anatomy on Netflix while I work. I am on Season 3. I loved Seasons 1 and 2, but Season 3 not so much.

I am reading ... Beautiful Boy by David Sheff. It's a memoir about his son's drug addition. It has been made into a movie.

I am listening to ... Love Does by Bob Goff. An excellent book.

I am hoping ... that we are able to find the right combination of things to help with Eli's anxiety. Some of it is just typical teenage boy stuff. But, he does tend to suffer more than the average person his age because he is just such a thoughtful young man.

I am learning ... that we can't successfully change to be the version of ourselves others want us to be. We can only change to be the best version of ourselves that God created us to be. I know I have spent a great majority of my life, especially in marriage, getting this all wrong. I am who He created me to be. I can't be someone else, especially for someone else.

In the garden ... No garden for us. After we tore down our nasty garage and redid our backyard, the gardening boxes came out. I am not sure if I will ever put in another garden. My dad keeps me supplied with tomatoes, and that's all I found myself eating out of it anyway.

In the kitchen ... I am teaching the kids how to cook. I want them to each have four full meals they can cook so they can each be responsible for dinner one night per week of the month. (Plus, their spouses will thank me some day!) Last night Brynne made garlic chicken and angel hair pasta with supervision. Each time she makes it I plan to have her do more and more of it alone until she is able to make it from beginning to end all by herself. It was DELICIOUS!! Eli starts his lesson on Wednesday.

Shared Quote ...



A moment from my day ...

Working from home is the best thing ever! I've never been so happy.



Post Script ...



6 Crucial Self-Care Tips for Introverted Women. Number 5 is a priority for me! I set an alarm to make sure I have a full 45 minutes to 1 hour of white space time (which means laying in bed with my coffee reading, journaling, thinking, praying, scrolling social media) before I get up and work out and start my day. And I go up to my room at 8:00 p.m. every night so I have a full hour to read, finish a glass of wine, reflect before I shut the light off for bed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a