Skip to main content

Clear the Dishes, It's Time for School!


Homeschool Classrooms

We do not have a designated school room. Even if we had a room we could use, we wouldn't. We just aren't happy unless we have made a mess from one end of the house to the other. Our dining room is in the center of the house with our kitchen on one side and our living room on the other. We like to do our school work at the dining room table, on the couch, in the sitting room, or in the kitchen. Life is school and we don't like being closed off.

You have seen these pictures before because things rarely change around here. (I don't like change.) A couple of things have moved around, but that's it.

We start our day here, at the dining room table. I put our whiteboard in the corner by the windows  (not in the picture) and we do the majority of our bookwork and artwork here. We use clipboards because the tile on our table is a rough surface when writing. We just grab our supply caddy and books and get going. We usually start with a nice cup of hot tea.


My desk and shelves, that hold all our supplies, are in the room with us.


Top shelf: cameras and electronic supplies (cords, etc.), tray for completed papers
Second shelf from top: Books and binders we use often but not everyday, my planner
Middle shelf: All of the books we use every day (see how we have simplified?)
Second shelf from bottom: Bible, nature, and science notebooks, extra copy paper
Bottom shelf: MUS manipulatives, supply caddy we take to the table, clipboards

I got a new laser printer this year (I feel like a pro now). I use our printer/copier every single day. I got tired of paying for a color cartridge on my Kodak inkjet when I was always using grayscale, and then it broke (darn). So I bought a monochrome-only Canon laser printer/copier/scanner. I am in love. It's a little bigger than my inkjet so I moved it over to the antique sewing table. I like it much better there. We have a few more daily supplies there and the kids' Bibles.


When we are ready to watch a video or play a game, to do independent reading, or to do work on the couch with our clipboards when we are feeling tired or under the weather, we retreat to the attached living room.


When we do our read a loads we usually move a few more feet into the sitting room. We can all sit on the love seat together and the dogs have room to lay with us on the footstool. We just pile all up together.


We have our globe in here and all of our library books. We light a candle or our wax warmer so it's fragrant and relaxing.


We are able to live in our home with our school items all around us but still feel like it's our home. So where are all the messy miscellaneous supplies? In the hall closet. Our hall closet is lined with shelves. I have all of our junk hidden behind the closed door, and this is also where I store our whiteboard on Friday afternoons when we are done with school for the weekend. It's kind of a mess, but that's why it's behind a closed door!


I mentioned the kitchen. We are in and out of there all day getting drinks and snacks and fixing meals. We like to try to incorporate cooking into our studies, and will be doing a lot of it with Prairie Primer this year, so our kitchen gets a workout.


Thanks for stopping by our schoolroom when it is actually clean. In fact, I just organized everything today so we are feeling ready to go in a week from Monday when we officially start!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...