Skip to main content

School Begins a Little Early

Our first unit in our A World of Adventure curriculum is Ancient Egypt. Our local museum, Philbrook Museum of Art has been having a special exhibit called "To Live Forever: Egyptian Treasures from the Brooklyn Museum."


Yes, there were real mummies there, both human and animal. Cool!

Dawson and I went today because they were having a presentation on the artifacts in the gallery exhibit. We learned some very interesting facts about mummification and ancient death rituals. It really got us jump started on our new adventure coming up, and gave us some art project ideas.

This was inscribed on a bench in the gardens of the museum.


We also stopped at a wonderful Christian bookstore in Tulsa so Dawson could pick out a new devotional and journal to start using when "school" starts. I let him browse through them and pick out the one he felt led to get. His morning will start with his time with the Lord. It's a discipline I want him to establish.

We had such a good time together today, learning and exploring. I think it gave him a very positive insight on what it's going to be like when we are schooling this year.

Comments

  1. sounds like a wonderful day! LOVE that qoute!!!

    Tif and I do her devotional time at night right before bed is a great calming time for her. we use a great Tween girl one by Vicki Courtney. she has a teen girl one too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the wrap-up!

    What an awesome field trip.

    When we were studying Egypt there were no exhibits in the area. About a year later, one arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for joining in the wrap-up this week! Sounds like a great field trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great field trip!! Love the quote you found on the bench as well. Congratulations on starting your homeschool journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a wonderful field trip! I hope you both enjoy this homeschool journey. I am also trying to instill a quiet time daily with my boys.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...