Skip to main content

Study America Saturday ~ U.S.A. Maps


Sorry this is going up so late! Last night my husband and I went on a date. And, today was just an absolutely beautiful day, and I spent it outdoors planting fall flowers, cleaning out my gardens, and doing some fall decorating.

This past week, Brynne studied the state of Kansas. We have more activities to complete next week, so our official Kansas post will be next Saturday.

For "homework" in Eli's public school second grade class, his teacher sends home Literacy Bags for them to work on for a week or two and complete. So far he has had bags on frogs, main ideas, and this week, U.S.A. There are many mapping activities in the bag, so we have really been soaking them all in. Brynne has caught the fever and extended the bag lessons into her regular school day.

Here are the different things she did this week with U.S.A. maps:

Eli and Brynne used a United States laminated map to answer questions.




Eli has a fascination with China and wanted to know where it was located. The other side of the U.S.A. map had a world map. He said, "So you go this way [pointing to the right] to go to China?" I explained to him that the flat map is an "orange peel" of the Globe, and that you would actually go the other direction to get there because it would be closer. Their daddy went to Taiwan a few year ago, so he explained to them how he traveled there. We spent some time looking at the differences between the globe and flat maps.

While picking up some items from Dollar General to send to my grandma in a care package, I saw a U.S. foam puzzle for $1.00. Brynne came home and immediately went to work on that puzzle, completing it several times over the next several days. She used the laminated map from Eli's Literacy Bag for reference.



For her birthday, my mom gave Brynne a 60 piece, 2-sided jigsaw puzzle of the United States. Brynne worked on it on Thursday and completed the entire puzzle herself. While she was doing it she listened to "Fifty Nifty United States" on Youtube over and over.



We read There's a Map on My Lap! by Tish Rabe.


In the process of doing her puzzles, Brynne started reciting The Great Lakes that we learned about a few weeks ago, using the HOMES method. I was so proud of her!

In other map news, Brynne worked on a salt dough map of Kansas. The finished product will be shown next week. He's a sneak peek.


How did you study the U.S.A. this week?

Comments

  1. I love your maps, especially the foam map. We actually didn't do any geography this week, but I am sure we will link up next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning and Happy October!

    I’ve nominated you/your blog for The Versatile Blogger Award! :) Share seven things about yourself and pass the award along to the most versatile blogs you follow. Follow the link below for details.

    Thanks for blogging!! Your blog makes me a better teacher and learner!

    Cindy
    love2learn2day
    http://love2learn2day.blogspot.com/2011/10/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a