Skip to main content

Polar Animals ~ Denmark and Polar Bears




This month the kids and I are joining the gals at The Usual Mayhem, No Doubt Learning, Montessori Tidbits and Childhood Beckons in a collaborative effort to share our studies of the Polar regions and their animals. As my kids are obsessed with geographical studies, I was thrilled to be asked to participate. We will be focusing on the Arctic.

For this first week we chose to study Denmark with our focus animal being the polar bear.

Our first step in a geographical study is to pull up the country on Stack the States (iPad app) to learn it's capital, native language, and any other facts it provides. Then I print off a flag printable from Activity Village UK and the kids color it. These completed flags hang in our dining room while we are studying that country and then get moved to the clotheslines in Eli and Brynne's room. Like I said, they love geography.


We found Denmark on the globe and then looked at some other maps online. Then we discussed where the arctic regions are located those areas on the globe.


We wanted to read the book Energy Island, but it was out in our library so we will have to read it at a later time.

We did read some great books about polar bears. I like to incorporate both non-fiction and fiction picture books in our studies. We read the following books:

Looking at Bears, by Dorothy Hinshaw Patent


Big Fuzzy, by Caroline Castle


Tundra Animals, by Connor Dayton


The Chilly Bear, by Guy Counhaye

For science we did an experiment about how polar bears stay warm. I decided to introduce the Scientific Method to the kids in a way that they could understand, so we brainstormed our ideas on the white board and they wrote them on a simple form that I prepared (just handwritten).


We learned that the fur of polar bears IS NOT WHITE! Their hairs are actually clear and their skin is black. When the sun enters the strands of hair it is absorbed by the black skin and then the excess sun exits through the sides of the strands of hair, which gives the fur an appearance of being white.

In our experiment, the contents of the jar covered with clear plastic wrap was warmer than the one covered with a white cloth. The clear wrap represented the clear hair strands and the black coffee represented the black skin. Cool, huh?

We watched highlights of a live polar bear feed on the internet.

We made ice tunnels which were very cool!


And finally we made an arctic landscape. These were fun to do and turned out really cool, I think.


Go see what my friends did with their kiddos this week. We are all doing different things with different aged kids, so there will be lots see. Next week ... Finland!

 I am also linking up this week with the girls at Share it Saturday.

Comments

  1. The arctic landscapes are so cool! I love how you're integrating the countries of the Arctic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! Love the ice tunnels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the Arctic landscapes and the science experiment! What a fun week! Don't forget to pin it to the Polar Animals board. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the polar bear paintings. They turned out great. Have a great weekend.
    Blessings
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool, I didn't know that either about polar bear hair.

    Thanks for linking up to Science Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

CTC Math {Schoolhouse Review}

We found our groove with math this year. I found a curriculum that both of the kids respond well to and seem to enjoy (as much as one can enjoy math). We have spent the whole year learning the ins and outs of multiplication and were just a few lessons away from being ready to move onto the next year-long level on division. And then an opportunity to review the 12 Month Family Plan from  CTC Math became available. To be honest, I wasn't very enthusiastic. I mean, why mess with the methods that have worked so well? When I was chosen to review the product I didn't go into it with the level of enthusiasm that it deserved. We have been using a dvd/workbook curriculum with great success. The 12 Month Family Plan from CTC Math is a web based curriculum. As we have not had a lot of luck with those types of programs, I went into this review with a negative attitude. And then my socks were knocked off by how great it is. In fact it is so great that we are going to continue to ...

Veritas Press Self-Paced History: Old Testament and Ancient Egypt (Schoolhouse Review)

For the past several weeks we have been reviewing Veritas Press Self-Paced History: Old Testament and Ancient Egypt and the Old Testament and Ancient Egypt Flashcards  from Veritas Press . As we were entering into our more easy-going summer schedule, and had just concluded a two-year Old Testament Bible course, I was happy to try out this product as it appeared to be something that Eli and Brynne could do together, alone, and would act as a review of the Old Testament presented in a different way. And I was right. Each Veritas Press Self-Paced History program includes 160 lessons teaching about 32 events in history. They are designed for children in grades 2-6, and it is recommended that the student be a minimum of 7 years of age at the time of the first lesson. What We Received We received a full one-year subscription, for one child, to the online Veritas Press Self-Paced History: Old Testament and Ancient Egypt program and the accompanying Old Testament and Ancien...

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.