Skip to main content

Polar Animals ~ Denmark and Polar Bears




This month the kids and I are joining the gals at The Usual Mayhem, No Doubt Learning, Montessori Tidbits and Childhood Beckons in a collaborative effort to share our studies of the Polar regions and their animals. As my kids are obsessed with geographical studies, I was thrilled to be asked to participate. We will be focusing on the Arctic.

For this first week we chose to study Denmark with our focus animal being the polar bear.

Our first step in a geographical study is to pull up the country on Stack the States (iPad app) to learn it's capital, native language, and any other facts it provides. Then I print off a flag printable from Activity Village UK and the kids color it. These completed flags hang in our dining room while we are studying that country and then get moved to the clotheslines in Eli and Brynne's room. Like I said, they love geography.


We found Denmark on the globe and then looked at some other maps online. Then we discussed where the arctic regions are located those areas on the globe.


We wanted to read the book Energy Island, but it was out in our library so we will have to read it at a later time.

We did read some great books about polar bears. I like to incorporate both non-fiction and fiction picture books in our studies. We read the following books:

Looking at Bears, by Dorothy Hinshaw Patent


Big Fuzzy, by Caroline Castle


Tundra Animals, by Connor Dayton


The Chilly Bear, by Guy Counhaye

For science we did an experiment about how polar bears stay warm. I decided to introduce the Scientific Method to the kids in a way that they could understand, so we brainstormed our ideas on the white board and they wrote them on a simple form that I prepared (just handwritten).


We learned that the fur of polar bears IS NOT WHITE! Their hairs are actually clear and their skin is black. When the sun enters the strands of hair it is absorbed by the black skin and then the excess sun exits through the sides of the strands of hair, which gives the fur an appearance of being white.

In our experiment, the contents of the jar covered with clear plastic wrap was warmer than the one covered with a white cloth. The clear wrap represented the clear hair strands and the black coffee represented the black skin. Cool, huh?

We watched highlights of a live polar bear feed on the internet.

We made ice tunnels which were very cool!


And finally we made an arctic landscape. These were fun to do and turned out really cool, I think.


Go see what my friends did with their kiddos this week. We are all doing different things with different aged kids, so there will be lots see. Next week ... Finland!

 I am also linking up this week with the girls at Share it Saturday.

Comments

  1. The arctic landscapes are so cool! I love how you're integrating the countries of the Arctic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! Love the ice tunnels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the Arctic landscapes and the science experiment! What a fun week! Don't forget to pin it to the Polar Animals board. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the polar bear paintings. They turned out great. Have a great weekend.
    Blessings
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool, I didn't know that either about polar bear hair.

    Thanks for linking up to Science Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a