Skip to main content

A Year of Goodreads (and some not so good)

I started off 2016 with a good reading streak. It was about that time I heard about Goodreads, so I set up a 2016 Reading Challenge of 25 books. I had never read that many books in a year. I knew it was a stretch, but I love to read so I really wanted to commit to it. I also decided that the 25 books would not include any read alouds the kids and I would do in the year, and we usually read about 15 novels in a school year.

 Reading is like drinking water ... the more you do it the more you crave it. Once I got started reading this past year I just couldn't quit. My list of 'To Be Read' books just grew and grew and I kept reading.

I was shocked that in 2016 I read 53 books! Here is a summary of what I read this past year.












I have made a Reading Challenge Goal for 2017 of 50 books, not including any books that we read aloud as part of homeschooling. Wish me luck!

Comments

  1. I am so impressed by how much you read. I managed to make it through 15 books (not including chapter books I read with three different kids) this year and I was proud. I used to read 1-4 books a week before I had kids and I miss it, so I'm making it a goal to read even more this year. Loved seeing what you read. I'm going to add a few to my list!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...