Skip to main content

Wednesday Hodgepodge


 

Share one favorite moment/memory from your Christmas holiday. 

Having the house full with the whole family all day long on Christmas Day. We were in our pjs/comfy clothes and new Christmas t-shirts watching tv, cooking, playing games, etc. It was a busy day, but my heart was full.

What was the best thing you ate over the holidays? Was it homemade or store bought? If it was homemade did you make it?

My dad's fried chicken on Christmas Eve. Yum!

What was one of the most beautiful things you saw over the holiday?

The joy and smiles in my mom and aunt when I presented them with a jar of homemade spiced cucumbers just like my grandma used to make. I think it really made them happy to have a memory of her at Christmas.

What does fresh start mean to you?

The Webster's definition of fresh is - "having it's original qualities unimpaired". I do a lot of impairing of the original qualities that I desire to have. So a fresh start is a redo. I evaluate the qualities I want to see in myself and start over with them unimpaired by all the damage I tend to do to them. Those good qualities get a fresh washing and get to start out clean again.

On a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being very positive and 1 being no so great) how would you rate 2016 in terms of personal achievement and well being? Explain.

I am going to say a 5. I slacked off a little too much in 2016.

Every January 1st since 1976 Lake Superior University has published a list of words they'd like to see banished from the Queen's English. Words may be banished due to misuse, overuse, or just general uselessness ... Here's the 2017 list of banished words: You, sir - focus - Bete Noire - town hall meeting - post truth - guesstimate - 831 - historic - manicured - echo chamber - on fleek - bigly - ghost - dadbod - listicle - get your dander up - selfie drone - frankenfruit - disruption. Which word on the list would you like to see banished in 2017? What word or phrase would you add to the list?

I haven't even heard of the majority of these words. So, I'll choose "on fleek". It's just stupid. The word I'd like to see eliminated is "bestie". If you are someone's bestie, you are not their best friend. Wait about 12 minutes and you'll see that when they name someone else as their "bestie".

Large or small, light or deep, share with us one goal you have for the new year.

I am planning to give more of myself this year. I already started with taking on a volunteer position with the local Senior Citizen Center by delivering meals once a week. I know that it is a blessing to those that receive the meals, but I am most certainly more blessed by their sweet appreciation.

Insert your own random thought here.

Yesterday we honored my Great Aunt Mildred who passed away at the age of 93. She was, without a doubt, the classiest woman I have ever known. As I sat in her little home church I was so inspired by her, even in her death. She was so loved. My Aunt Mildred was not a meek and mild lady. She said what she felt, but always with love. Every time I saw her she looked lovely, dressed nicely with makeup on and her hair fixed. She never stopped contributing to her family and their needs. She was just a joy to be around. She jolted a renewal in my spirit yesterday. She made me want to be well-loved, which is something I haven't cared too much about in recent years. She made me want to make family time, extended family time, more of a priority. I am thankful for my Aunt Mildred and am thrilled that she is with Jesus and her sweet husband who passed away 11 years ago and her son who tragically passed away 30 years ago. She will be missed by us, but I can just see her laughing in Heaven as she hugs the necks or her favorite guys.

Comments

  1. Sorry to hear about your Great Aunt, what a lovely tribute you've paid here to her. Sounds like she's taught you a lot! I love what you wrote about those words of the year and I'm with you about "on fleek" and beastie! Words of wisdom indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a