Skip to main content

Our Homeschool Work Day


Our first day of fall semester is just a few days away, and with that comes a more scheduled day. As much as I have enjoyed these easy days of summer and summer school, I am ready for more of a schedule. When left to my own devices I can easily wiggle out of getting up earlier to have my morning time, out of exercising regularly, and out of running my household efficiently. I get an attitude of, "Eh, I can do that later ...." And then later never comes.

Our days will look pretty much like they have looked every other year. I have it pretty much down to a science for us. But it is always nice to document my intentions so that I have a concrete goal. For me, a goal written down is much easier to achieve.

Here is what I am hoping will happen each day starting on Monday ...

7:00 a.m. ~ Me get out of bed for coffee, Bible study, and computer time.

8:00 a.m. ~ Work out. For now that means doing DailyBurn365 two mornings a week, running two mornings a week, and doing a 21 Day Fix routine on Friday mornings.

8:30 a.m. ~ Get the kids up, breakfast, quiet time for the kids, housework, me get ready for the day.

10:00 a.m. ~ Morning school. This will include spelling, current events, read aloud, copywork, grammar, math, and personal reading.

12:00 p.m. (or so) ~ Lunch is usually about an hour, more or less depending on how much we have accomplished and still need to accomplish.

1:00 p.m. (or so) ~ Afternoon school. This includes literature, Greek mythology, Missouri history, astronomy, and more personal reading.

4:00 p.m. ~ School concludes for the day, we clean up, and mom takes a 30 minute power nap.

5:00 p.m. ~ Start preparing dinner, finish up any housework, kids free time until bed.

5:30 p.m. ~ Dinner and then evening television and relaxation.

9:00 p.m. (or so) ~ Me to bed to read for about 30 minutes.

10:30 p.m. ~ Kids lights out.

Of course some days will look a little different:

On Wednesday mornings Eli has speech therapy at 9:15 a.m. so we are away from the house from 8:45 - 10:30 a.m. During this time Brynne is working on her additional science curriculum.

On Thursday afternoons we conclude by 3:00 p.m. because we host an enrichment class at our house from 3:30 - 5:30 p.m.

One day a week the kids will be attending an archery club.

Some evenings Brynne has volleyball practice and/or games, that will then move into basketball practices and/or games.

Our goal is to complete 6 hours of schooling each day in some way, shape or form.

Let's get this school year started!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CTC Math {Schoolhouse Review}

We found our groove with math this year. I found a curriculum that both of the kids respond well to and seem to enjoy (as much as one can enjoy math). We have spent the whole year learning the ins and outs of multiplication and were just a few lessons away from being ready to move onto the next year-long level on division. And then an opportunity to review the 12 Month Family Plan from  CTC Math became available. To be honest, I wasn't very enthusiastic. I mean, why mess with the methods that have worked so well? When I was chosen to review the product I didn't go into it with the level of enthusiasm that it deserved. We have been using a dvd/workbook curriculum with great success. The 12 Month Family Plan from CTC Math is a web based curriculum. As we have not had a lot of luck with those types of programs, I went into this review with a negative attitude. And then my socks were knocked off by how great it is. In fact it is so great that we are going to continue to ...

Veritas Press Self-Paced History: Old Testament and Ancient Egypt (Schoolhouse Review)

For the past several weeks we have been reviewing Veritas Press Self-Paced History: Old Testament and Ancient Egypt and the Old Testament and Ancient Egypt Flashcards  from Veritas Press . As we were entering into our more easy-going summer schedule, and had just concluded a two-year Old Testament Bible course, I was happy to try out this product as it appeared to be something that Eli and Brynne could do together, alone, and would act as a review of the Old Testament presented in a different way. And I was right. Each Veritas Press Self-Paced History program includes 160 lessons teaching about 32 events in history. They are designed for children in grades 2-6, and it is recommended that the student be a minimum of 7 years of age at the time of the first lesson. What We Received We received a full one-year subscription, for one child, to the online Veritas Press Self-Paced History: Old Testament and Ancient Egypt program and the accompanying Old Testament and Ancien...

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.