Skip to main content

Coop Summer Play Group

We are a part of a wonderful Homeschool Coop. During the summer season our Coop will have available group activities on Fridays. However, I was really hoping to help Brynne form some closer friendships with girls her age. Because of that, and because it's sometimes easier to coordinate events in smaller groups, four other moms and myself formed a Play Group to meet on alternating Wednesdays. Between the five of us we have seven girls who are right at the same age and four additional siblings.

We met for the first time today at our house. Our plan is for the moms to read and discuss the book Seasons of a Mother's Heart by Sally Clarkson. The hosting mom will plan a craft for the kids/moms and provide snacks. And, of course, the kids will have plenty of time to play.

Because we are library freaks here, and because it's fun to have new stuff, we made fun new personalized library bags for the kids. The girls picked out their designs and helped spray the bleach. The moms had to do the rest of it. My craft projects always seem to end up being harder than planned. But the bags turned out great! (Brynne even drew her own bubble letters on the stencil for me to use.)


We had a great time today. The kids had a blast! Several of the girls thanked me over and over for having them and told me how much fun it was. They played and played and snacked and played some more.


And, the moms had some time to sit and get to know each other better and to talk about our book. I am the oldest, naturally, and our youngest mom is 26 and just had her third daughter just 3 weeks ago. My older daughter, Kyndal, was here with us and just sat on the couch while we talked and held the baby.

Do you know what was happening here? Titus 2 was being lived out in my home. I have had a real heart prodding on the topic of being a Titus 2 woman. I loved everything about what was happening here today.

This is going to be a great summer!

Comments

  1. sounds wonderful I have a blog for you to check out there is weekly titus 2sdays post and linky

    http://time-warp-wife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...