Skip to main content

Weekly Wrap-up ~ Homecoming Week


In our regular life this week…

You would think that coming off a vacation we would be ready to buckle down to a full week of school. But, life was busy and unusual this week! Monday night Brynne had a volleyball game and Eli had Scouts, so I was running between the two. On Tuesday night I went to watch Taylar play volleyball. We had church and handbell choir on Wednesday night. I had to travel two hours to and from my attorney's office Thursday to prepare for an upcoming hearing on child support against my ex-husband. Yesterday morning Brynne and I were up bright and early attending the elementary school pep assembly for homecoming because they were introducing all of the fall sports and she was there for volleyball. We came home and I got prepared to leave for the night to travel the four hours to Oklahoma for Rick and I to go see Alabama in concert. Then the kids were in the homecoming parade in the afternoon.

Brynne introducing herself


In our homeschool this week…

We crammed school in wherever we could this week, even at grandma's.

Bible - This week we have been reading God's World News for our Bible lessons in the mornings. We are reviewing this magazine for the Schoolhouse Review Crew and it's been a new and interesting way to study current events from a Biblical perspective.

Grammar - We completed Lesson 7 this week learning about how to determine whether you should use the article "a" or "an".

Spelling - This week's words were those that's root wood ends in "e" but you are adding "-ing" to the end. They actually aced their pre-test so after they completed the weekly workbook pages, they were let off the hook on a final test. Brynne announced this week that Spelling is her favorite subject. Thank you, Soaring with Spelling!

Reading - We headed back to the Dimwood Forest this week and started Poppy and Rye by Avi.

Math - We completed our Multiplication Teaching and Learning Made Easy book and will now be going back to Math U See Gamma.

Handwriting - We are just about to finish up the first cursive handwriting book from Handwriting Without Tears. Now we will be moving onto Cursive Success.

Writing - We didn't do any writing this week.

Geography - We will be moving on in our Road Trip USA studies next week. This week we did mapping activities from our George Washington: True Patriot Unit Study Curriculum Guide. We mapped major cities and places of historical significance in Virginia, rivers, and geographical regions.

Extra - We finished up our Chess lessons and played a few games.



Homeschool Tricks and Tips ...

Be thankful for the flexibility of scheduling! This week has been nutty and I am thankful that we can do school whenever and wherever as long as we get all of our required hours logged this year. Also ... DANG! ... those elementary school kids have to start their day early, and the teachers have to start even earlier! Although I get up each morning at 7:00 a.m., the kids don't get up until 8:30 a.m. and we don't start school until 9:30 a.m. The elementary school kids had already gotten to school and completed an assembly by 8:30 a.m. I was exhausted from our early morning! I am thankful that we get to start our day a little later and more refreshed from a longer night's sleep.


Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…

Yesterday Eli and Brynne were each in the Homecoming Parade! Eli led the parade with the Cub Scouts and Brynne rode on the volleyball float. They were so happy to get to spend time with their friends.



Dawson and Taylar went to the homecoming dance after the football game. Taylar's mom sent me a picture since I wasn't there to take one myself.


A favorite thing this week was…

making some headway in the curriculum I am writing. I have been really overwhelmed with this as I have felt so unqualified. But, I have felt God just open up things for me and show me the way. I have definitely experienced God's strength through my weakness this week! I give all glory to Him.


What's in the kitchen this week ...

I am surprised that I was able to pull out some meals this week with all of our crazy nights! But I did manage to make a big pot of YUMMY chili, some beef fajitas, and burgers. The chili was so good that I'm making some again this weekend!


What we're reading ...

Mom:  Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert and At Home in Dogwood Mudhole by Franklin Sanders.

Eli: Captain Underpants and the Revolting Revenge of the Radioactive Robo-Boxers by Dav Pilkey.

Brynne: Diary of a Real Payne by Annie Tipton.

Read-aloud: Poppy and Rye by Avi.


Things we're working on…

enjoying fall, choosing Halloween costumes, celebrating birthdays, and making Christmas lists. 'Tis the season!


I’m grateful for ...

my friend Jodi. Here's a little story. Jodi started following my original blog, Taulman Times, many years ago. At some point along the way, she e-mailed me about something I had posted. We found out through these e-mails that we have a TON of paralleling life circumstances. We quickly became online friends. As time went on, we even started an accountability relationship online. Each morning she and I have a quick e-mail conversation where we share what we are learning from our quiet time with the Lord. We are now even doing a Bible study together!

About six months or so ago, we figured out that Jodi's husband was taking a class in a town near us. Her and her family were coming along. We were within two hours of each other!! She has been here for about six months. We decided to meet up one afternoon and then even took all of our kids on a little Lake School adventure.

Jodi and her family were scheduled to go back to their home in West Virginia this month. But, her husband has been offered a job and THEY ARE STAYING! They are selling their home in WV and moving here!

There is no question in my mind that God orchestrated our friendship and has led us toward each other. First he moved us from Oklahoma to Missouri. Then he moved them from West Virginia to Missouri, just two hours apart. What are the chances of that?

I am so grateful to have Jodi so close! She has become a dear friend, and our children all get along so well. We are thrilled!


What's coming up this week ...

I am playing handbells at church on Sunday. It's the kickoff to our new season. On Monday night Brynne has a volleyball game out of town. On Tuesday night I have my ladies' church group at my house. Wednesday is dinner at church and handbell choir practice. Friday night Brynne has a volleyball tournament and IT'S DAWSON'S 17th BIRTHDAY! Eli starts a bowling league on Saturday and Brynne is attending a birthday party. On Sunday we are going to a family reunion and then I am attending an Oragami Owl party hosted by one of my friends.


A photo, video, link, or quote to share (silly, serious or both!)…

Missing this!!


We are happily linking up this week at the following sites:





Comments

  1. We are loving God's World News too.

    I can't wait to hear/see more about this curriculum you are writing. It has always been something in the back of my mind, but I never get around to it. How exciting for you! I will be praying for you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a