Skip to main content

Day 3 of 180 ~ Courtesy of Bass Pro Shop


Day 3 of the 2012/2013 school year happened on a SATURDAY! I recently posted about the Family Summer Camp provided by Bass Pro Shop.


We attended three workshops: Wildlife Exploration, Backyard Adventures, and Archery. At the end of each workshop the kids answered four questions on their activity sheet and then went on a scavenger hunt in a designated area of the store to seek the answers to two questions. Once those were completed they received a pin for that workshop to attach to their lanyard.






In between workshops, Eli and Brynne painted a ceramic bear track ...


They practiced shooting guns, a bow and arrow, and casting a fishing pole ...




And then they looked at all of the boats (a couple of times).


Eli says he no longer wants to be a Ninja or a Golfer when he grow up. He wants to be a Boat Driver.

Rick met us at the end of the day for dinner and s'mores.


This one needed a shower when she was done. She enjoyed every bite!


Brynne said that this was the best school day she has ever had. It was a lot of fun, but they also learned a lot! They learned about the classes of animals, the importance of trees, parts of trees, about Redwoods in Sequoyah National Park in California, about good and bad insects, parts of bows and arrows and types, and archery safety, among other things.


This is exactly what I envisioned when I planned for us to have Science Saturdays this upcoming school year. Educational and fun!

They received three of the nine pins available. We are going to go back on Tuesday to attend two more workshops, and then again on Sunday, July 15th to attend the final four workshops.

I am linking up this week with Science Sundays at Adventures in Mommydom.


Comments

  1. I need to check and see if our local one has a summer camp, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...