Skip to main content

Our Third Grade Curriculum ~ FIAR




Today's topic on Schoolhouse Review Crew's Back-to-Homeschool Blog Hop is Curriculum. Being a literature-based unit study freak, Five in a Row is the perfect curriculum for us ... when we use it.

I also do a lot of building of my own unit studies, and I like to "backwards" plan unit studies. What this means is that I search for local events, plays, movies, etc., that interest us. Then I build a literature-based unit off that event. So, the first thing I did in planning for the school year was to calendar all of the events I already know about that could have a fun unit study attached to it ... THEN I supplemented our school year with Five in a Row units. It works great!

Although FIAR has many different levels to it's units (Social Studies, Geography, Science, Art, Math), we will have separate, daily studies in some other areas:

All About Spelling
Easy Grammar
Copywork (based on the unit we are doing, usually a poem or a quote)
Handwriting Without Tears ~ Cursive Writing
WriteShop Primary
Math Enhancement Programme (MEP)
Usborne Treasury of Art
Nature with Barb at Handbook of Nature Study and natural exploration

As you can see, writing is a big deal to me. We do many of these things daily, and concentrate on Art and Nature studies on Friday.

We are looking forward to a fun year of learning.

If you need some other curriculum ideas, see what other Crew members are using by clicking on the links below.

Comments

  1. Love how you plan your studies around the events. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're obviously in the same frame of mind....I'm actually sitting at my computer planning FIAR for this year and making lists of field trips! Funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Nicole, don't worry about the e-mail. (For some reason I couldn't e-mail through your profile...) My son will be home one more year. (The charter school has postponed opening until next fall.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...