Skip to main content

Reflections on a Decade


Ten years ago today Eli entered our world. He was a fragile little guy at just 5 1/2 pounds, and had suffered from IUGR (intra-uterine growth retardation). He was born with neurological delays that would present themselves over the course of a few years. With the possibility of autism looming, we had him evaluated as a two year old and determined that something was, indeed, amiss. He had many of the classic symptoms of being on the spectrum.

Eli is certainly a special kid. I would say that he is a normal 10 year old boy, but he is not. He is extraordinary! I do not know what we would do if he was "normal". He is so serious and honest and probably the most loving and affectionate kid you have ever met. He never meets a stranger and thinks of everyone as his friend. I have never met someone with more of a gift of encouragement than him. He enjoys each and every ordinary moment of life. He has had a lot of best days.

Over the past 10 years Eli has overcome many obstacles with a dimpled smile on his face. He gets frustrated when he can't be perfect at something, and we have to spend a lot of time talking him off the ledge as he gets stressed. But, other than a slight remaining stutter, you wouldn't know that he was different from any other kid … except that he is always sweet, well-behaved, and respectful. (You don't see that much these days.) And there is not a shy or mean bone in his body.

I am thrilled to call Eli my son. I love him so much it makes my heart hurt. I cannot imagine my days without him. I am honored that I get to teach him and, more often than that, to learn from him. He has taught me much in this decade of his life.

Eli Jackson Taulman, your mama loves you so much! Happy 10th birthday!




Comments

  1. He is so cute! Just another thing the birthday twins have in common. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

CTC Math {Schoolhouse Review}

We found our groove with math this year. I found a curriculum that both of the kids respond well to and seem to enjoy (as much as one can enjoy math). We have spent the whole year learning the ins and outs of multiplication and were just a few lessons away from being ready to move onto the next year-long level on division. And then an opportunity to review the 12 Month Family Plan from  CTC Math became available. To be honest, I wasn't very enthusiastic. I mean, why mess with the methods that have worked so well? When I was chosen to review the product I didn't go into it with the level of enthusiasm that it deserved. We have been using a dvd/workbook curriculum with great success. The 12 Month Family Plan from CTC Math is a web based curriculum. As we have not had a lot of luck with those types of programs, I went into this review with a negative attitude. And then my socks were knocked off by how great it is. In fact it is so great that we are going to continue to ...

Veritas Press Self-Paced History: Old Testament and Ancient Egypt (Schoolhouse Review)

For the past several weeks we have been reviewing Veritas Press Self-Paced History: Old Testament and Ancient Egypt and the Old Testament and Ancient Egypt Flashcards  from Veritas Press . As we were entering into our more easy-going summer schedule, and had just concluded a two-year Old Testament Bible course, I was happy to try out this product as it appeared to be something that Eli and Brynne could do together, alone, and would act as a review of the Old Testament presented in a different way. And I was right. Each Veritas Press Self-Paced History program includes 160 lessons teaching about 32 events in history. They are designed for children in grades 2-6, and it is recommended that the student be a minimum of 7 years of age at the time of the first lesson. What We Received We received a full one-year subscription, for one child, to the online Veritas Press Self-Paced History: Old Testament and Ancient Egypt program and the accompanying Old Testament and Ancien...

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.