Skip to main content

Study America Saturday ~ Indiana and Michigan

We had another great couple of days in the Midwest with our Road Trip USA unit study. We visited Indiana and Michigan.


Indiana

As always, we started out our studies by going through the materials in Road Trip USA and coloring our notebooking page. Then we went on to watch the segment about Indiana from "The States" dvd.

We focused our lessons on the Wright Brothers and the state flower of the peony.

The kids watched an Animated Hero Classics video on the Wright Brothers and then the bonus material from Flights of Courage titled "The Wright Brothers' First Flight".


We used the book Super Simple Paper Airplanes by Nick Robinson to make a couple of planes.




Finally, we made some coffee filter peonies.



Michigan

Again for Michigan we read our Road Trip USA materials, colored our notebooking page, watched the Michigan segment of "The States", and read Michigan Facts and Symbols.


The kids were very taken with Michigan and have added that to their list of places they want to visit. We learned about peninsulas and looked at pictures of the Mackinac Strait and bridge. We previously learned about suspension bridges, so did some review on them.

Next up was Motown music. We watched some old videos of "Stop in the Name of Love" by The Supremes, "My Girl" by The Temptations, and "One More Chance" by the Jackson 5. They were really impressed with Michael Jackson as a young boy!

We watched a Youtube video about Studio A at the Motown Hitsville USA museum.

This led to a discussion of the phonograph which was invented by Thomas Edison. We watched a video on the invention of the phonograph which led to lessons on sound waves. We played music on glasses with filled with different levels of water and then made a telephone with plastic cups and string.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...