Skip to main content

Weekly Wrap-up ~ Mush


That is how we felt a few days this week. Like mush. And we have very few pictures to show because of it. Brynne was sick midweek so we just did the basics on clipboards on the couch and spent the rest of the time watching videos and resting, trying to get Brynne healthy again and preventing the rest of us from getting her virus. It was a steady week, but just not very exciting from a blogging perspective.


The Past Week in our Regular Life

We had SUCH a fun weekend the past two weekends watching Brynne play basketball. She has played so great and has really gotten aggressive in her play!

That's her shooting, in the white headband. Look at that form!

Eli also had two great weeks of bowling with an average last Saturday of 70 and an average yesterday of 91! He is working hard to get ready for the state tournament at the end of April.


Kyndal passed her yucky virus right on to Brynne, so Brynne was running a fever with a bad sore throat and clogged ears for a couple of days this week. Thankfully she woke up on Thursday "good as new".

Aaaaaaaaannnnndddd … the bitter temps, snow, and ice returned. Yuck!

The Schooling Basics

Bible - We finished our studies about the Division of God's Kingdom with Israel being split into Judah and Israel, and their subsequent sins against God.

Grammar - We reviewed parts of speech, quotations, and irregular past tense verbs. Then we added indirect objects.

Spelling - We added consonant chunking to our vowel chunking, copy work and dictation in Spelling U See and memorized "Star Light, Star Bright". And in Soaring with Spelling we also learned -ied suffixes added to words ending in y.

Handwriting - We completed five lessons in Handwriting without Tears - Cursive Success.

Math - In Math U See Gamma we completed Lesson 24 and continued with multiple digit multiplication. In Mastering 5th Grade Math - Fractions, we learned about Factors. The kids picked them up easily. And I am impressed with how they are picking up on some beginning understanding of division. We won't start that until this summer when we move onto Math U See Delta, but it's cool to see them "getting it" before they even start.

Writing - We completed our problem/solution stories with character and setting descriptions by editing and revising our sloppy copies and then writing the final draft in cursive with illustrations.

Science - In Science4Us we have moved onto learning about the Earth's Materials. The kids completed that module.

The Schooling Fun Stuff

This week it was all about the Iditarod! I posted about our study plans HERE, and we pretty much stuck to that schedule. I highly recommend watching "Toughest Race on Earth" produced by The Discovery Channel. It has been so enjoyable to watch, and informative, too! We have been looking forward to the start of the 2014 race, which was today! We will be charting progress at each of the checkpoints. Mush!

While daddy was home last weekend, he noticed that we are now getting "Popular Science" magazine. As he is a science fanatic, he assigned each of the kids an article to read and summarize from the magazine. They used a non-fiction organizer, and reported to him this weekend.

The Kitchen

Homemade mini pizzas, biscuits and gravy, frozen lasagna with broccoli and garlic toast, salisbury steak with mac and cheese, tacos, chili and chili dogs, and pizza.

The Days Ahead

Public school has been cancelled for tomorrow, so Dawson is off for the day. We will still do our schoolwork, though. Then we are having lunch at my mom's. She leaves for Florida for a month on Thursday so we want to squeeze in a little more time with her. Wednesday evening we are hosting a glow-in-the-dark egg hunt at our church to celebrate the start of Lent (it's a review product, so be looking for that review soon.) Thursday afternoon the kids will start a 6-week class at our public library on Lewis and Clark. The house will be full again on the weekend, and Brynne has a basketball tournament.

The Books We are Reading

Mom: And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini.

Brynne: A Big Year for Lily by Mary Ann Kinsinger and Suzanne Woods Fisher.

Eli: George Brown Class Clown: What's Black and White and Stinks All Over? by Nancy Krulik.

Read Aloud:  Junie B. Jones and the Mushy Gushy Valentine by Barbara Park. (See more mush!)

The People and the Places

My parents invited the whole family over for a fish fry last Sunday after church and before Brynne's basketball tournament. We used to have family dinners every Sunday, and I miss those.

On Tuesday night my women's circle from church came over for our monthly book study of What Happens When Women Say Yes to God by Lysa TerKeurst. We are all struggling with a case of the "I can't" syndrome, so discussed how this only leads to us being in bondage. Kyndal joined us and shared her spiritual "I can't" struggle. It is so nice to share my faith walk with my adult daughter.

We skipped basketball practice because Brynne wasn't feeling well (and then ended up running a fever) and bell choir practice was cancelled last week. With the increased cold temps (again), we didn't get out and about much.

In anticipation of the winter weather coming up, we decided to take Friday afternoon and go "to town" to get groceries. I didn't want to be bumping carts with the gazillions of other people last night who were also loading up before the storm. Glad I did, when I did.

The Savings Jar(s)

$1.63 went into my change jar. I am also pretty sure I will be saving another $75 out of my gas budget for this two-week period to go into savings for our Florida trip.


The Bible in a Year

I am still reading my Bible every night and have now read through Numbers Chapter 7.


The Favorite Things

I am currently having a love affair with ginger snaps. Do not even ask me how I got started eating these, but I grabbed a box at the store a few weeks ago and can't seem to get enough of them. There is nothing better than snaps and a cup of hot tea!

And I've heard that ginger is good for heartburn, but I doubt in such large quantities! What I do know is good for heartburn, and what I have finally found to work for my chronic pain, is Pepcid Complete! Oh, thank goodness I found it! Nothing else I have used has seemed to work. But, if I take a Pepcid Complete before I eat dinner, it gets me through until morning without any problems. I am so thankful because I was beginning to think I might have to go to the doctor for it.

Dawson finally took his last EOC needed to get his necessary credits from when we homeschooled. That was a hassle and is a huge relief that it's completed. It is so crazy to me to think about him being a senior in high school next year!

Vikings is back on for Season 2. This is Dawson and my favorite show to watch together, and the first episode did not disappoint. It's going to be a good season! Kyndal and I also snuggled up in the living room today and watched another 7 episodes of season 2 of Revenge.

Linking up





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a