Skip to main content

Thankfulness


It's the day after Thanksgiving and I just spent 10 hours shopping. I am exhausted and laying in bed with a cup of chamomile tea. I have had lots of time to relish in my blessings. And there are many.

I'll start with this man right here and our marriage.


We are like anyone else ... we have had our ups and our downs. But I cherish our marriage and the husband that Rick is to me. I am a very blessed woman to have a man who works so hard to take care of me, who cares about me and how I feel, who does all he can to help me have a joy-filled life. He is hard-working and selfless and I am thankful he is mine.

Oh these kids. They occupy such a huge portion of my heart. I find myself navigating two completely different bodies of water in my parenting. There are the older kids and the younger kids.


If you think that parenting becomes easier the older your kids get, then you haven't yet been the parent of an adult child. I have great kids, yet I lose sleep every night worrying about them. I pray for them harder than I have ever prayed. I find myself smiling so often at the excellent young adults they have become. They make me so proud each and every day and I am so grateful for the close relationships that we have. I have prayed for their future husband and wife since they were small babies. I would pray for them while I fed my babies and rocked them at night. And we have been blessed with Collin and Taylar. I am happy they are in our family and are there for Kyndal and Dawson to love.



And my younger kids ... they are amazing. They are so smart and witty and quirky and fun. They make each day a joy to live as I get to see first hand how smart and inquisitive they are. Their personalities are so different yet they are very rarely apart, by choice. I cherish the days that I have with them because I know that these days will be over so quickly. I look forward to each day that I get to spend with them.


My home is somewhere that I have grown to love so much. I knew the first day I stepped into this house, when it was a disastrous pit, that I was meant to resurrect it into a quaint and loving home. I could stay in this house every day and not leave it. It is filled with all of my favorite things and my favorite people. I don't need much here to make me happy. I don't need new things. I don't need the best of everything. I don't need a lot of space. What is needed is a home where we all feel comfortable and cozy and loved. And I know this house has provided that for our family.

My extended family is a blessing. I have the pleasure of living just a few blocks away from my parents, from my daughter, and from my sister. I have an uncle who lives in town (hi John!), an aunt who comes to visit every week, and a grandmother who is living out her last days in the community health care residential facility, where Dawson works. My other grandmother comes to town every couple of weeks to get her hair done by Kyndal, so we get to see her often, as well. I get to see three of my four nieces as often as I like.

Rick's family has been such an important part of his and my life these past couple of years. His sister and brother-in-law have graciously opened their home to him while he is working during the week. He gets to see his niece and nephew often, and his brother and sister-in-law came for an extended visit this summer. I know that time was special to him. Rick had the opportunity to be with his mother during her last bout of chemo and watch her come through it with shining colors. These are important times for us to share. The good and the bad.

And let's not forget our furry kids. These dogs never leave my side, and most of the time my lap. But they keep me company and keep me warm at night. There is never a lack of love when you have your pups around. Chloe still comes to see me most days while Kyndal and Collin are at work. And we have had the pleasure of welcoming Yadi into their home in all his puppiness. They are a lot of work, are high-maintenance, and I vacuum enough hair that I could open a doggie wig business (is there a market?), but I can't imagine our days without them.



Right here ... these things I have mentioned ... they are all I need. It took me a lot of years to realize that, but I certainly do. I am thankful for the simplicity of our life and the closeness of our family. And not one minute goes by that I do not stop to consider all of which I have to be thankful.


Comments

  1. Awwwww. Lots of beautiful blessings! Happy Thanksgiving! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a