Skip to main content

Wednesday Hodgepodge




What's something you wish you knew how to do, but feel like it's too late to learn?

It's never too late to learn to do something you want to know how to do. I've always wanted to know how to sew.

Your least favorite thing to shop for? Why?

Good deals on clothes. I love clothes and I love good deals even more. Oops. Read that question wrong the first time. I love to shop. I can't think of anything I don't like to shop for. Maybe bathing suits? Just because ick .... someone had that same one on without underwear before me. Thankfully, other than top size, I can pretty much just buy the same size bottoms these days without having to try them on first.

How has the celebration of Thanksgiving today changed from when you were growing up?

Thanksgiving is still pretty much the same. We spend time with family and eat a lot. Now that I have my own family, though, we DVR the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade so that we don't have to get up early to watch it. Then we watch it later in the day. We also watch a Charlie Brown movie that evening, and sometimes a Christmas movie, too. We don't have to travel like we did when I was a kid because my parents just live a few blocks away, and their house is the only other place we will go. I will admit that in years past I have gone to Walmart for Black Friday deals in the evening, but this year I am not.

What's something that when other people see it, reminds them of you? Explain.

Coffee mugs, items with birds on them, or pjs. These are a few of my favorite things.

If you could guest star in a TV show, what would it be and why?

I would gladly be a victim to an unsub on Criminal Minds if it meant that Shamar Moore would save me (preferably with his shirt off).

Have you ever farmed or spent any time on a farm? Are there farm stands in your little corner of the world and do you make it a point to shop there? If so, what item do you particularly like to buy from a roadside stand or farm shop?

I grew up in the same small town where I currently live and we are surrounded by farms. I have never lived on one, but visited friends who did. We also have a large Amish community here and there are a couple of Amish stores that I frequent. I particularly like their eggs, jellies, spices, applesauce, and pickles. We also purchase all of our flowers from them in the Spring.

What's something you've experienced recently that made you feel a sense of awe or wonder?

I'm not going to say that I have experienced much awe and wonder in a good way here recently. In fact, with some of what I have seen going on I wonder what the heck is wrong with people! I mean, really, is Jesus coming back here pretty soon? He must be. The world has gone just bonkers. I am without words as to the cruelty, stupidity, and selfishness of people. It's just downright ridiculous!

Insert your own random thought here.



Comments

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a