Skip to main content

Tuesday Coffee Chat




It's the last Tuesday Coffee Chat of the year, and I'm afraid it's not going to be a pretty one. Gird your loins, folks, I have an opinion about something.

Naughty or Nice? No Rules: Just have Fun with This!

Let's get me out of the way. Have I been Naughty or Nice this year? I've had my ups and downs, like always. I have tried to be the best daughter of the King, wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, aunt, woman I can be, and have failed miserably at times. I really do try to do all things with the best intentions, but even the best laid plans go awry. I am not unhappy with my behavior this year, but I certainly have room for improvement. We all do.

Now onto the We all do ...

The world is Naughty. 

It's hard to find hope and joy in these uncertain times. We have to look hard! Each and every day I literally ask myself multiple times: What in the world is going on? Where do you start? What do you try to fix first? We are in a downhill spiral as a country, as a world, and if we think otherwise we are blind. It's not just in Syria. It's in the United States, in Missouri, in the town where I live, and in my neighborhood.

It's overwhelming!

Here is one thing for sure: There isn't a whole lot any of us can do as individuals to change what is happening worldwide. For us common folk, about all we can do is pray and vote. From there it is  all about self-preservation. I hate to say that, but I think it has come to that.

And self-preservation isn't just a physical thing. It's mental; it's emotional. Circumstances take their toll on us. And we have to find ways to protect ourselves.

The biggest problem I see overall? Negativity.

Every. where. you. turn. you. hear. something. negative.

Ask yourself ... when is the last time you were around someone with something positive to say? I'm hard-pressed to come up with something. That's sad, folks.

We look for the negative in everything! ... We first point out the negatives in our spouses, in our children, in our neighbors, in our kids' teachers, in the church, in our government leaders, even in our favorite sports teams right down to our kids' sports teams. We just can't seem to find anything positive to say about anyone or anything. Why? Because we don't look for the positive. We have more fun poking at the negative.

I am tired of it! I don't want to hear it! If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all!

I don't want to hear it anymore!

What you are likely to find out of me in this upcoming year is that if you are a negative person, you won't see much of me. I can't take it. I ned some peace in my life. I need to experience joy. I don't watch the news; I don't browse the internet; I stay off social media unless it's just cute pictures of your kids and your coffee cups. I don't want to hear anybody bitch about this or that.

I am telling you right now that if we stopped bitching, things would get better. It would start at home, flow into our neighborhoods and into our schools and churches, head on out to our government leaders, and then into the world.

It would.

I can't control anyone else. But I can control myself in this area.

Naughty = Negativity
Nice = Choosing to be Positive

This next year, I am going to be on the Nice List. How about you?


Comments

  1. Wow. Well said. I think if each of us made sure we did our own personal best, we could really change the world. Instead of focusing on what others do, we need to focus on what we are doing. "Be the change you wish to see in the world." (~Gandhi) SO...if we are to ever see peace in the world, it needs to begin within each of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't see me, but I am giving you a standing ovation!! Also, I think you should maybe be President. I mean, I can't vote for you being Canadian, but I'd sure love to see someone with THIS HEART in a political office. Because it's true, and it's exactly been my journey this year too. To see the beauty that's all around of us, instead of dwelling on the ugly, the chaos, the hate, the violence. To choose to be in the moment that I am given, and not make it be anything else but what it is. Imagine a world where we raise one another up, instead of crowding around our TV's to watch as a person self destructs, glorifies in themselves, and then laugh at the train wreck that results. It's shocking what we have come to view as entertainment.
    You know, I do think we can make a difference though. one small personal change at a time. I've been saying it's not about changing someone's mind anymore -- that's why the bitch bitch on social media doesn't work. It's about changing hearts: and we know there's only one REAL way to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. Yes and YES! I'm with you. So tired of it. Maybe we can't change THE world, but we can sure change OUR world. It all starts with gratitude!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a