Skip to main content

Wednesday Hodgepodge



Many families have a story they love to tell every year around a holiday. Does your family have one? Are you the star of that story, or does another family member take center stage? Share your story if you want.

One involved our Christmas tree being chucked into the yard with some spicy words being said and another involved a run-in with scalding apple cider. Both involved our family trip to the Christmas tree farm trying to capture that perfect family moment. Let's just say we now go to the tree lot at the hardware store and grab a tree.

Are you afraid to speak your own opinion?

Um, no. But, I do find that I speak my opinion less and less these days. If it's not my direct business, I don't want to be involved. Nobody seems to listen to advice they ask you to give anyway, so I rarely choose to give any. I find that most people offering their opinion are giving a negative one, and we just don't need anymore negativity in the world than we already have. Conversations have just gotten to be so exhausting.

Pantone has announced the color of the year for 2016, and for the first time have chosen two shades ... rose quartz and serenity. Hmmm .... did you know that serenity was a color? You can read the thought behind their selection by visiting he Pantone website, but essentially it's blending the warmth of rose quartz with the tranquility of a very soft shade of blue. So what do you think? Are these colors I'd find in your home or wardrobe? Will you add something in these shades to either place in the new year?



It is lovely, for sure. And the reasoning behind it is so extremely peaceful. However, I do not think I have anything these colors in my wardrobe, and I do not in my household decor, either. These aren't really my "signature colors" so I don't see myself adding them anywhere anytime soon.

If you could be in a Christmas carol, which one would you choose? Why?

"Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire", cause it's for kids from one to ninety-two. It brings back the wonderment of Christmas from when I was a child. And it reminds me that even though I live in a state of Bah Humbug during the holidays as an adult, I have children who are still filled with wonder during this season.

December 9th is National Pastry Day. Will you celebrate? When did you last purchase something from a bakery? What's your favorite treat that falls under the heading of pastry? Do you make it yourself or buy from professionals?

We won't celebrate this day, although a cheese danish sounds nice. I don't buy much from the bakery. Probably the last thing was the cake and cupcakes for Collin and Kyndal's wedding. I have never made my favorite cheese danish. I always purchase them.

When it comes to holiday decorating .....

Oh my, are you sure you want to get me started on this? I HATE DECORATING FOR CHRISTMAS! If I did not have kids I seriously would not even put up a Christmas tree. To me it is just another round of busy work. This year we limited our decorating to a tree, our fireplace mantle, one light up nativity, and a little grouping of our Charlie Brown Christmas tree, a Peace sign, and a nativity. I have TUBS full of decorations in the garage I chose not to put out this year. While battling with the greenery on the fireplace mantle I even said to Brynne that I would rather clean toilets than decorate for Christmas. I told her she would probably have to share that with her therapist some day.  I am a bad mom. Perhaps I should listen to "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire" the whole time I am decorating, or just hire it done.

When did you last laugh so hard it hurt? Explain.

I can't really think of a specific time, but I do know that I do a lot of laughing at the stories Kyndal tells of things Collin does. That kid, oh my goodness. He's a trip.

Insert your own random thought here. 

I have had absolutely no motivation this week! And I mean NONE! We are only about 45 hours away from finishing our first semester school hours and it is taking everything I have to push us through. I can almost touch our Christmas break that starts next week, and I just want to be there already. Must. Keep. Moving.

Comments

  1. I said a cheese danish too. Those are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not like to decorate either! I told Madilynne when she and Ryder leave home I am not putting up the big tree anymore! I am going to get a little one and put a couple decorations and lights on it and call it good! I will leave all those decorations and lights on it, cover it with a bag and put it in the attic ready to go for the next year! LOL She laughed at me and said she was surprised I didn't do it now. I love the look of it AFTER it is done. I just don't want to deal with it.
    Your not a bad mom, just focusing on what is truly important.
    I also agree with you about voicing your opinion- sometimes it just isn't worth your breath! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a