Skip to main content

Weekly Wrap-Up ~ "Time" of "Testing"

Well, this one is late! We had such a beautiful weekend here this weekend that we spent it outdoors doing gardening and yard projects. I didn't have my usual day of sitting in my chair, catching up on DVR'd shows while planning lessons, inputting grades and posting my wrap-up. I am starting this week feeling behind!

While Dawson is working on some vocabulary cards for our new read, Swiss Family Robinson, I thought I'd work on my wrap-up.

Dawson ~ 8th Grade

We finished up our unit on The Middle Ages last week, and that usually means watching some videos and doing some cooking. We watched King Arthur and Tristan and Isolde and Dawson cooked spaghetti with garlic and herbs and herb tomato crostini for our family for dinner on Thursday night.



He took lots of tests to finish the unit, two language arts review tests and his Science test. I typically prepare a study guide for Dawson on his units and then a pretty difficult test. This science one was over plant science from the whole unit and he only got a 71% on it. He probably could have studied more, but the test really was pretty hard. There was lots of information!

He also worked on doing some paraphrasing of a passage of scripture from the King James Version. The monks in the Middle Ages did a lot of this.

He worked on his whittling project, starting a knife.


I've also not been getting too frustrated with his excessive Xbox 360 playtime, because he has been playing lots of the game Fable which is set in the Middle Ages. It actually reinforces what he is learning.

The rest of his subjects are coming along nice and steady.


Brynne ~ 1st Grade

Brynne had a busy week, as usual, despite the issue she had to deal with at the end of the week.

Her letter-of-the-week was "S" and she did her usual written work and read her books independently. She also started off the week going to a Swimming party, got to go Swinging with her friends and to a pretend Sleepover and Sowed her garden. It was definitely a week of "S" activities!





Brynne's math lessons this week were over Time. She made a paper plate clock that she used extensively! It turned out to be a great learning tool! She read lots of Living Books about time and did some worksheets, all while using her paper plate clock for reinforcement. She learned to tell time to the 5 minutes, and learned about A.M. and P.M.


We read the book The Perfect Nest and did lots of nesting activities. A highlight as watching the live feed of the Bald Eagle and her nest in Virginia. As a matter-of-fact, she is supposed to have an egg hatching today!


We made a couple of different kinds of nests:

Edible nest with peanut butter, pretzels and white m&m's

Yarn nest made by dipping yarn into glue and molding to bottom of a bowl covered in saran wrap.

We will finish the yarn nest project this week by making blown eggs and dying them, because with Brynne not feeling well at the end of the week we didn't get to it last week.

We are also sad to report that the nest that is on our back patio, the one that almost constantly has bird eggs in it, fell this weekend. Now there is no nest. The birds had just continued to add to it over the years and it got too top heavy and fell. I was afraid that was going to happen. I hope they will rebuild! It's a highlight of our spring and summer to see new baby birds in that nest! We provided some nesting balls for our little birdie friends, so maybe that rebuild with those supplies.


Join Kris at Weird, Unsocialized  Homeschoolers to see what other homeschooling families did last week.

Comments

  1. My son LOVES that whittling book. Of course, I think the first thing he made was the lemonade! He has made several small things like a spreader for jam and some little animals. He is working on a few more animals this week (in his bedroom - shavings every where!)

    The dinner looks yummy!

    I like the yarn nest that Brynne made.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a