Skip to main content

Classroom Surveys

Have you ever given a written survey to your homeschooled student? I've gained insight from my kids about certain topics before, but I have never handed them a written survey to complete.

In The Book Whisperer chapter entitled "Whisper: Surveys", Donalyn Miller discusses the concept of classroom surveys, and even has an example of the one she has used. What a great idea to get students, especially non-readers, to think about their interests, likes and dislikes, put them in writing, and submit them to someone who could decipher them and help them find books they would like to read.

I know that some of the best books I read are as a result of a recommendation. Perhaps my students would be more excited about reading if I, or a library professional, was able to take their interests and recommend a book or series based on those interests.

I know that this has been a problem with Dawson. We go to the library, but he is so overwhelmed with the vastness of selections that he doesn't know where to start. He will take several books off the shelf only to put them back because he is unsure about them. Brynne has an easier time because she will choose a book based on whether the cover illustrations look interesting. She has such a wide set of interests that she doesn't care if she pinpoints just one area. At least not yet. Once she gets older she will appreciate reading books recommended to her based on her greatest area(s) of interest.

Will I give my students a survey at the beginning of this year to get us started? You bet! I can't wait to see their answers to the questions. Then I am going to enlist the help of some friends and library professionals for recommendations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...