Skip to main content

Sunflowers

Last year, in my garden, I had the most amazing sunflowers! They were huge and beautiful and enhanced my garden so much! Brynne took the head of a sunflower to school (when she was still in school), so that the students could see where sunflower seeds really come from! She also took along the book, Big Yellow Sunflower by Frances Barry, for her teacher to read to the class. We had thousands of sunflower seeds that I fed to our birds.


I was so excited to plant our sunflowers this year. But, they have been a dud. I have had puny little sunflowers and only about five have even bloomed.

But we still managed to bring in one mangy one for a Sunflower Day for Brynne and her friend, Karlie.

They painted sunflowers ...



And they made sunflower cookies with sugar cookies, yellow icing, mini chocolate chips, and yellow raisins ...


Comments

  1. Our best blooming sunflowers this year are by far the ones that fell from the birdfeeder and grew all on their own. They are the healthiest and largest ones we have. I love the colored ones I planted but there is nothing like a really yellow sunflower....maybe you will have luck next year.

    I would love to eat your sunflower cookies! Thanks for sharing with the OHC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely paintings of sunflowers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jumping over from OHC. We have way too many rabbits in our area, so our sunflowers last year really didn't make it either. I didn't even try this year, but we got lucky and spotted the ones in our neighborhood. You never know ; )

    The cookies do look yummy : )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...