Skip to main content

America: The Story of Us ~ Our Favorite History Resource

If you have followed Journey to Excellence for any length of time, it is no secret that our year has been permeated with our American History studies.

Over a year ago, many of us home educators received a complimentary DVD series from The History Channel called "America: The Story of Us".


Since we typically shy away from textbooks when it comes to Dawson, I knew that I wanted to use this series as the spine for our American History studies this year. So, I got to work. I spent ALL SUMMER last year watching each video and planning Dawson's lessons for the year.

I have never been more in love with American History as I am right now, and it is ALL because of the prompting of that amazing dvd series!

There are twelve episodes, each 45 minutes long. The graphics and sound effects are AWESOME! They are lively, interesting, and so easy to watch! What I really love about them is that they touch on some aspects of history that I have NEVER learned about, instead of just sticking to the basics.

We set up our lessons into three-week units, hoping to cover each episode by the end of the school year. The pre-Civil War era really grabbed us, so we ended up spending twice as much time on it. We will complete 10 of the 12 units by the end of this month. We could have finished the other two, but Dawson really wants to do a unit on the knights of the Middle Ages, so we are going to end our American History lessons then.

We start each three-week unit by watching the video, doing the Discussion Questions found on The History Channel companion website, and defining the vocabulary words. We read a Living Book from that era, and then do as many activities as we can. We focus on notebooking, videos, inventions, photo analysis, field trips and writing projects.

I would imagine most homeschooling families have either just watched the videos as supplements to their studies, or put them aside all together because they didn't really know what to do with them. It is more than possible to use the videos as your entire American History curriculum, with supplementation.

I have done all the hard work for you. Here are the lesson plans I have posted about so far. These are for a HIGH SCHOOL level American History course, but middle school children could easily use them, as well. I will complete 10 of the 12 episodes by the end of the school year, so keep checking back. I usually post a unit's lessons each Saturday. The next installment (Lesson 6, Episode 5) will be this week. Use them. Share them.

Lesson 1: Episode 1 "Rebels
Lesson 2: Episode 2 "Revolution"
Lesson 3: Episode 3 "Westward 1" (We broke this one up into two units)
Lesson 4: Episode 3 "Westward 2"
Lesson 5: Episode 4 "Division"

I even planned out lessons for the whole year for Brynne, who is in the 2nd grade. But, we decided to go another direction for her this year. I will definitely be using the videos again for her and Eli a little later, using the lesson plans I already prepared for their age level.

If you did not receive the complimentary dvd series, you can still do this! It can be purchased from The History Channel site. Or, you can now watch it on Netflix. Our local library also has the series available to be checked out.

This has most certainly been our favorite History Resource this year. Tomorrow you can go see what other TOS Cruisers have chosen as theirs.


Comments

  1. Our family loved this series. I agree with you, I have never been more in love or more interested in American History than during this program. We did lots of activities surrouding it and it was really fun for us since we are in NJ and surrounded by lots of this actual history!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard so many good things about this series. I will be checking out your lesson plans soon - thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for these great resources! I am really enjoying your blog. I would love to be able to follow your blog. Do you have a way to do that via email updates or any social networking sites?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful resource. Wondering if you happen to go beyond Episode 4? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is the link for lessons through Episode 9. That is as far as we were able to get in our school year.
      http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us

      Delete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...