Skip to main content

Outdoor Hour Challenge ~ Insect Grid


Yesterday we headed out with our Insect Grids from Barb's Outdoor Hour Challenge September Newsletter. We had already spent last week observing ants, but were determined to complete as many items on the grid as we could.

Wielded with our clipboards, grids, and new "Homeschooler by Day, Ninja by Night" t-shirts, we set out on our adventure at the local park.


Here was our destination.


At first there were no insects to be found. But we did come across this ...


Then, "Hey! Here's an insect!" Nope, it's a spider. How do we know? It has 8 legs instead of 6.


After following a passageway, we found a huge web covered in insects!

I put a clipboard behind it so that the insects could be seen well.

Many were still alive and struggling for their freedom, like this guy in red.


The old railroad tracks had some red ants. Don't get too close!


We stood on the bridge and tried to find insects in the pond. We couldn't see any. But, wait, what is that we hear? Crickets!


And then we did catch a glimpse of a dragonfly and some hovering insects over the moss. We even saw fish coming up to eat the insects on the water.



We decided to call it a day and went to the playground to play. "Mommy, come quick! It's an insect carrying another insect! I think it's trying to help it!"



Nope. I think it has caught it's evening meal. While climbing up the jungle gym, it dropped it. We watched to see if it would find it again, as it was kind of camouflaged in the rocks. But, it didn't take long before it did.

It was a great day of exploration!



Comments

  1. I'm surprised you are still alive after finding the snake skin. I watched that spider on the basketball goal build his web on Sunday after you left. It was quite interesting. Looked like me trying to empty the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, I was looking around for it's owner.

      Delete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

CTC Math {Schoolhouse Review}

We found our groove with math this year. I found a curriculum that both of the kids respond well to and seem to enjoy (as much as one can enjoy math). We have spent the whole year learning the ins and outs of multiplication and were just a few lessons away from being ready to move onto the next year-long level on division. And then an opportunity to review the 12 Month Family Plan from  CTC Math became available. To be honest, I wasn't very enthusiastic. I mean, why mess with the methods that have worked so well? When I was chosen to review the product I didn't go into it with the level of enthusiasm that it deserved. We have been using a dvd/workbook curriculum with great success. The 12 Month Family Plan from CTC Math is a web based curriculum. As we have not had a lot of luck with those types of programs, I went into this review with a negative attitude. And then my socks were knocked off by how great it is. In fact it is so great that we are going to continue to ...

Veritas Press Self-Paced History: Old Testament and Ancient Egypt (Schoolhouse Review)

For the past several weeks we have been reviewing Veritas Press Self-Paced History: Old Testament and Ancient Egypt and the Old Testament and Ancient Egypt Flashcards  from Veritas Press . As we were entering into our more easy-going summer schedule, and had just concluded a two-year Old Testament Bible course, I was happy to try out this product as it appeared to be something that Eli and Brynne could do together, alone, and would act as a review of the Old Testament presented in a different way. And I was right. Each Veritas Press Self-Paced History program includes 160 lessons teaching about 32 events in history. They are designed for children in grades 2-6, and it is recommended that the student be a minimum of 7 years of age at the time of the first lesson. What We Received We received a full one-year subscription, for one child, to the online Veritas Press Self-Paced History: Old Testament and Ancient Egypt program and the accompanying Old Testament and Ancien...

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.