Skip to main content

When you want to chase down the school bus ...


Yesterday was one of those days. Honestly, we hardly ever have them. But, yesterday was one of them.

It all started with a squabble in the bathroom while brushing teeth. After a stern discussion, they were both in tears. We took deep breaths and regrouped before we even started.

Then our studies started with the Bible story of Cain and Abel. Within moments Eli was sobbing because Cain killed his brother. "It was just such a sad story!"

From then on, getting into our school work was practically impossible. We slugged along with extreme lack of focus. Eli was having an especially difficult time. I had told the kids when we first got started that if they worked hard and we got done with school by noon, that we could take the rest of the afternoon off and spend some time at grandma's. That didn't happen. Instead, we worked until 3:00 p.m. The afternoon wasn't any better than the morning.

Then when I picked Dawson up from school, I realized that his day had not been any better. My aunt, who is retired art teacher and still subs at the high school, told me that most of the kids had the same kind of day. Was it a full moon?

This was the shirt I randomly put on yesterday morning. I had to say those words outloud SEVERAL times throughout the day!


Days like yesterday are hard! But I had to remind myself that we all have extremely bad days! But at least Eli and Brynne are able to have those bad days at home. It makes me sad to imagine Eli at school having a hard time focusing, having several moments of shedding tears, and having a teacher who didn't really care. I was able to give him small breaks, talk him through it, and adjust our day to make it as easy as possible.

We discussed how today is going to be a better day. I know that it will!

Comments

  1. You cheered my day. It is comforting to know that we all have days like this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we all have days like that. In fact, our homeschool had ours on Monday. And I do believe you are the 3rd or 4th person to say you've had one of those days this week as well. Indeed a full moon, or something going on. Here's to praying that we ALL have a better remainder of the week.

    BTW, are you just lovin' your new place!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, yes... you're not alone. we've been there several times during our homeschool adventure. and many moments in-between. *sigh* but, thankfully, the good days make the hard days feel worth the journey. ;) ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm having a week like that! Hoping for a turn of the tide tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep! I think last year was a bad YEAR...not day! ::wink:: But thus far this year is going much, much better! Phew!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a