Friday, September 12, 2014
Random 5 on Friday
1. I am thankful for the friendships I have with my children. In talking with teens and watching others I see how it is more than possible to be friends with your kids. Don't get me wrong, you have to be a true friend ... one who is willing to tell your kids what they need to hear instead of what they want to hear and holding them accountable for their actions. Isn't that the kind of friend you really want? But you can talk with your kids instead of at them. And you can fill their lives with encouraging words instead of criticizing them. We should definitely show our kids we love them instead of just telling them. All our kids really want is to know that we support them in all their decisions, even if they aren't the decisions we would personally make. Support through the good decisions draws you close. Support through the bad decisions and being there to help them should they fall draws you closer. I'm not talking about enabling bad behavior. I'm talking about supporting them as they grow and navigate life. They just need a safe place to fall. I don't understand why parents can't get this. And then they wonder why they don't have good relationships with their kids. It's really not that hard.
2. Brynne and I are binge watching Once Upon a Time on Netflix. If you want a solid and clean show to watch with your children, this is one! She is learning all about famous fairy tales and I am getting to reminisce. It's good family television, and that's almost impossible to come by these days (unless you watch Little House on the Prairie, which we are watching every day, too.) And it also gives us something to do together.
3. I really NEED a few hundred dollars so I can buy up as many cardigan sweaters from Charlotte Russe as I can. I was helping Taylar shop online to spend the gift card we gave her for her birthday and I was slobbering over all of the cardigan sweaters! They are my favorite thing to wear, with a comfy long-sleeved t-shirt, jeans and boots!! There were so many I wanted, especially the aztec prints. Oooooohhh so pretty!
4. I am pretty certain three of my four kids have had the enterovirus that is sweeping the Midwest. But, it's a virus and none of my kids have asthma or respiratory allergies and it just has to run its course, so I didn't even take any of them to the doctor. Instead we treated the symptoms ... took decongestants and expectorants, lots of Tylenol, and lots of fluids. One of them even got pink eye. It's been a nasty virus and absolutely no fun, but we survived. I wish others I knew would take the same approach instead of rushing their kid to the hospital for admittance because it's on the news and it's an opportunity to get attention.
5. Kyndal took Chloe to the vet yesterday because of some probable urinary tract issues. He found that her bladder is full of stones. She is having surgery this morning to clear them out. The biggest complication would be if she has one lodged in her urethra, and then he would not be able to do anything for her. This would completely devastate Collin and Kyndal as Chloe is their baby. She is the triplet sister to our Buck and Quincy and we love her so much.