Skip to main content

Wednesday Hodgepodge


It's time for another bit of hodgepodge with From This Side of the Pond. This week's questions center around Summer, School, and Sports.

What's something you wanted to do this summer that you never actually got around to doing?

The same thing I want to do every summer that I never actually get around to doing .... purging and organizing.

Share a favorite memory of your own back-to-school days as a child.

I loved, loved, loved getting back to school! I wanted to take summer school every year but they wouldn't let me because my grades were too high. So I waited with boredom all summer until I could start school again. My favorite thing to do was to rearrange my school supplies in my school box. I can still smell the new crayons! On the first day of school the students would walk down the hall to their grade of classes and stop at each room and look at the list to see which class he or she was in and which friends were also in the class. It was such an exciting day!

What's one chore or daily task you prefer doing 'old school'?

I do all of my calendaring on a paper calendar that hangs on the bulletin board. I do not like electronic calendars. I do not use my calendar on my iPhone. I do not like carrying a calendar in my purse. If I am out and about and someone asks me about availability on a particular date, I have to let the person know I will get back to them after I look at my calendar at home. (This also helps me not to commit myself on every little thing that I am asked to do or agree to do it because I am put on the spot.)

Share something you have learned in life through the 'school of hard knocks'.

Contentment. Wish I would have learned this without the consequences of not learning it.

As a child did you mostly bring or buy your lunch for school? What was your favorite thing to find in your lunchbox?

In elementary school I almost always took my lunch. I don't recall there being anything very exciting in my lunches ... probably a sandwich and some chips, maybe a Little Debbie cake. Either I had instant pudding cups or I had friends that had instant pudding cups, but I can definitely remember seeing instant pudding cups and those excited me! I still have my Disco Fever metal lunch box. In high school I bought school lunch pretty often. I liked the high school lunches, especially chicken friend steak and spaghetti.

Football season is upon us which has me wondering ... how big of a sports fan are you (not just football)? On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being 'I scream at the players through my television screen' and 1 being 'is knitting a sport'? Where do you fall in fandom?

I would say a 6. I do really like to watch sports. I like college and pro football, college basketball, pro golf. I don't schedule my life around sports, but if they are on I certainly don't mind watching them. I am happy to watch a golf tournament with Rick on the weekends or football on Sundays. I always like watching my Missouri Tigers or Kansas City Chiefs. But really I would rather watch my daughter play volleyball, basketball, or softball, or my little two bowl.

Share a favorite quote you think might inspire students of all ages at the start of a new school year.

Quotes Comments Pictures


Insert your own random thoughts here.

We all seem to have the next round of sickness. The big kids have gotten over it (mostly) and now Brynne has it. I have had a terrible headache the past couple of days, I guess from all of the rain we are having. Basically we just feel pretty yucky!

Comments

  1. Great post, love these type of post. I tagged you in a 20 things I hope you will play along :) http://faithfullyreading.wordpress.com/2014/09/06/20-things-about-me/

    shannon (snapshotsbygidget instgram)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...