Skip to main content

An Anniversary Trip to Missouri's Wine Country


Hermann, Missouri, is a quaint little town on the Missouri River. Germans settled there hundreds of years ago and quickly determined that it was the perfect location to grow grapes and produce wines. Stone Hill wine is a popular wine that you can find at most stores, including Walmart, and maybe you have seen it. It is made in Hermann, Missouri. There are many, many wineries in and around that small town.

Staying in Hermann at a Bed and Breakfast, going on a winery tour, and doing some wine tastings was on my bucket list. Rick and I just celebrated our 15 year anniversary so we decided this would be a neat little one-night trip to take since it's just a few hours from our home.


We stayed at a B&B right next to Stone Hill Winery called Stone Hill Overlook. It was a nice little modern bed and breakfast that served our purposes perfectly. Plus it had a beautiful hilltop view of Hermann.


We took the advice of our host Jim and went straight to Adam Puchta Winery. Well, I am now a wine snob. The lady working there did such a great job of choosing wines she thought I might enjoy even though I didn't think I would. She paired those wines with bites of food that brought out their flavors. We bought 3 bottles and a hand-painted Kansas City Royals stemless wine glass.


Next we tasted at Hermannhoff Winery. The wines were not nearly as tasty but the winery property was beautiful!


Finally, we went on a cellar tour of Stone Hill Winery and then did a wine tasting there. The cellar tour was so interesting! I still can't get over the amazing scents during the tour. The guide said he wished they could market that scent in a candle. I agree! We did a wine tasting there, as well, but determined that nothing could beat Adam Puchta.





The town is pretty much shut down on a Monday night but we did find a restaurant that served us a good burger and chicken salad sandwich. A walk around town displayed the most adorable gardens and turn-of-the-century buildings.






Another reason why we chose to go to Hermann on this particular day was to scout out the Katy Trail bike riders as they came through Hermann on the Katy Trail Ride 2016. Rick and I have just taken up cycling. The Katy Trail runs through our town so we made tentative plans to train this next year and ride the Katy Trail Ride in 2017. We were able to track down the riders at their camping spot to see what types of bikes, equipment, gear, etc. We were very encouraged that we will be able to complete this ride next year. It runs from St. Charles, Missouri, through our town and concludes in Clinton, Missouri, a total of 241 miles in 5 days.

It was a nice little getaway for the two of us. This time next year we will be back there sleeping in a tent!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a