Skip to main content

Tuesday Coffee Chat




What journey do you most want to take? It can be a geographical place, an emotional or spiritual quest, or even a creative pursuit.

I received a comment this morning from a long-time blog follower I didn't even know I had. She told me that she has followed me for years, that she is from our previous city of residence, that she would often see me at the school and various other places, and how much she has enjoyed the realism of my blog all these years.

I was touched! I also wish she would have introduced herself so that we could have possibly been friends.

But that got me thinking about the journey we took to get where we are now. In August, we will have lived here in our little home in Missouri for four years. I started looking back at blog posts from about the time of our move. We were getting ready to have a presidential election. And here we are again. Some of the reasons we downsized and moved to small town Missouri was because of the likely results of the election. We wanted to hunker down in a safe and simple place and raise our kids with a simple and healthy need versus want mentality. Our premonitions came true as to what our country would be like this year at the end of that administration. And now we embark on the possibility of another 8 years on the same downhill track. Boy am I thankful we are where we are. I feel safe.

I was looking at the before and after photos of just the outside of our house. I thought I would share.

I felt like we were moving into a summer camp cabin.

A little more cottage than cabin.

And we're not done yet. There is always something to be modified in a home that is two years shy of being 100 years old. And even in looking at this most recent photo I see that I really want that dangling branch cut down!

But, dang, I am pretty darn happy and content here.

The journey to contentment is not an easy journey, especially when you have lived many years in the middle of the "Keeping up with the Joneses Show". I hated that show. Sometimes you have to just yank the bandaid off and make that big change. It's certainly easier for some than others. But I think the journey has been a positive one overall.

So where do we go from here. Are we here for good?

Never say never and don't ever say absolutely. You just never know where life is going to take you. Four years ago I certainly didn't believe that we would be packing up everything we could fit in this little house and moving within three weeks.

My ultimate dream would be to move out into the country on a little plot of land into an old farmhouse (or even a newly built one that looks like an old farmhouse) with a small barn, a pond, a garden, chickens, an old horse, and a teacup piggie with lots of room to roam.

This is a journey we talk about with our kids because Collin and Kyndal share the same dream and would even like for us all to move onto the same piece of property. It's something we have begun to discuss a little more seriously and to tentatively make future plans to accomplish. I'm not sure the journey would be as dramatic a one for me as it would be for Rick. He is a big city boy who has not yet even gotten used to living part-time in a small town. But I think the seclusion from the craziness of the world, even a small town world, and the freedom to do as we please, would cater to his needs of controlling his environment. Plus we'd be all set if the world shut down or the zombie apocolypse arrived. I just want to be able to sit on my porch swing with a cup of coffee (or a glass of wine) watching my grandson play with the dogs while the chickens peck the ground. It seems like a pretty nice way to live out the last half of my life.

I've got our compass set in that direction.

Comments

  1. That sounds like a great plan, especially to have your whole family building on the same large plot of land. A friend of mine lives that way, before great-grandmother died they had four generations on the family land, and it was great to be able to do all of the work together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love older houses! I miss my 1817 farmhouse in PA - the hubby knows the house we have now in WA is not the house we'll be 'growing old' in, it's just a stepping stone. I want more property so I can plant fruit trees and grapevines for my winemaking, as well as a little more space for said winemaking. For now I'll have to make do with the shed we had built, I'll be turning that into my SheShed over the summer to have a great space for my winemaking. ;) And I'm right there with you - I'd love to have an old farmhouse again. :)

    Horseback Hero; Proper TP Roll Positioning; Journey Wishes with Coffee: Random Tuesday Thoughts Rebel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the direction your compass is pointing!! That's the life of my childhood and I would definitely love to get back to the porch swing watch the day sink to its rest kind of living. I don't enjoy the rat race, I think it's slowly killing all of us and making us miserable: though many don't know it because they are distracted by THINGS. I want to be distracted by LIFE. It's probably unrealistic that we would ever be able to move out into the country, and I doubt my hubby would do the old farm house thing. But we are only 5 minutes away from and there is literally a field of cows across from my childrens' school; so for now it's close enough.
    Love the changes you did to the house. And yeah, totally get you: that dangling branch would be gone. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a