Skip to main content

Wednesday Hodgepodge



I read a list of 13 things you should do in June. I'm paraphrasing a little but basically ... Go on a trip with your best friend, pick fresh strawberries, host a garden party, take a morning run, treat yourself to a flower bouquet, spend a whole day hiking, discover a new coffee shop, try a new ice cream flavor, read at least one book, visit a Farmer's Market, make a swing for your home, and visit a new city. Which thing on the list do you most want to do? Of the activities mentioned, which one holds the least appeal? How many on the list will you attempt in June? What's one thing you'd add to the list?

Well, I did four of these all at once last week! Rick and I went on our 15 year anniversary trip to Puerta Vallarta, a new city for us. On the trip there and back I read a book. And while there we went on an all day hiking adventure from Boca de Tomatlan to Las Animas through the jungle and along the shore. (I'm posting all about that tomorrow.)


Of what is remaining on the list, I would probably most like to pick fresh strawberries. The least enticing thing would be to host a garden party. What would I add to the list? Go to the movies as a family, ride bikes, plant some flowers, relax.

What's something you could do today to feel more peaceful?

I am currently doing the Bible study "The Armor of God" By Patricia Shirer. In just two days it has reminded me that the problems I have are orchestrated by Satan himself, that the battle is not with those flesh and blood people, really, but with the battles going on for my soul in the spiritual world. Satan cannot take my salvation away from me, but he can make my life on this earth miserable while I am here. When I remember that, that Satan uses the same tactics over and over to hurt me in the same way over and over, then it gives me a feeling of peace to know that my God is bigger than that and all I have to do is tap into His power. Then the squabbles of this earth fade away as insignificant. The pain diminishes. And I feel peaceful!

June 7th is National Chocolate Ice Cream Day. Are you a fan? Swiss mocha, rocky road, chocolate chocolate chip, peanut butter and chocolate, or a dish of plain chocolate ... what's your pleasure?

I am not a huge ice cream fan anyway, and if I choose one it is more of a coffee variety or a sorbet. If I am picking a chocolate, it would probably be a dark chocolate combination of some kind.

If you came with a warning what would it say?

Warning: This one is an extreme introvert who would rather spend all her time alone than to do anything else. If you are expecting frequent phone calls, visits, or for her to actually remember your birthday on your actual birthday, you will be disappointed in her. If you judge her for these types of things, it will hurt her because she is who she is and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

What's the most interesting website you've visited in the last weeks?

I don't really visit a lot of websites, unless I am just looking for something in particular. I guess the most interesting one would have been the blog that told us about the aforementioned hike and all of it's particulars: Live Dream Discover. This couple lived in Puerta Vallarta for a few months and have gone on to live in other places, right now I think in India. What a fun life!

Spring, summer, autumn, winter ... which season are you? Why?

I am totally a fall/autumn girl. I love the colors, the smells, the flavors, the temperature, the activities.

"You lose sight of things ... and when you travel, everything balances out." ~ Daranna Gidel

I think this is very true, and since we just traveled I actually experienced it. When you are at home doing the same thing day in and day out you tend to find yourself living in a vacuum and taking the things and people in your life for granted. They sort of start to blur. But when you travel your eyes and heart are just opened up to so much more! And you realize how important balance is and how you can't wait to get back to the life you have created. It has a sparkle again, an excitement, a peace.

Insert your own random thought here.

I have been enjoying the individuality of my children more than usual lately. I love that they know who they are and aren't afraid to be those people. I still struggle with this for myself so I find it a blessing that they have "gotten it" at such young ages.

My Kyndal wants to be a wife and mom. She doesn't want the things that most young women her age want. She is the opposite of a feminist and just content to be at home taking care of her husband and her dogs and, soon, her baby boy. She doesn't want more, more, more. Her love language is quality time and that's all she asks of you.

Dawson is an adventurer at heart and it cannot be tamed. I love that about him even though it can be a challenge at times. He just goes, goes, goes and keeps me nervous most of the time. But he is excited about life, and that's awesome!

Eli is what we call a cave dweller. Really, he is a lot like me. He just wants to be at home. Period. This past weekend he competed in his first video game tournament. He placed 5th out of 12 participants (and most of them were balding men!) and placed 1st out of the 3 boys that were under age 13. He did so great!

And Brynne is this perfect balance of all things. She can happily stay or go. She doesn't get cranky or tired. She listens to her body and does what it tells her to do. She loves to hang out with family playing games but is just as content to sit by herself and color or watch t.v. or play on the computer or read. She is very competitive in her sports but does not take herself seriously at all. She never gets frazzled or angry or upset. She just freely lives. She makes me feel joy.


Comments

  1. I'm mostly an introvert, as well...my husband is the complete opposite. I'm happy with being by myself, in fact, I almost crave it. People often think I'm anti-social, but I'm really not. I just don't have a deep-rooted need to be around lots of people 24/7...and that's perfectly OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That hiking destination looks like something I would love to do. Glad you had a great getaway!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a