Skip to main content

NEXT Year's Curriculum

You would think that with the end of the year approaching, and my energy and enthusiasm waning, that I would be thinking of anything but not thinking of curriculum.

However, with payment from my most recent contracted job I was able to order some of next year's curriculum. And, it's started arriving. It gets me so excited because, although we will be following the same basic structure in our homeschooling, the subjects will be so much meatier. Plus our main focus will be American History and I can't wait to dig deeper into it (since I snoozed through most history classes in my life.) Even Brynne's 2nd grade curriculum will be American History based. I can't wait to have my 9th grader and 2nd grader studying the same topics (at their own levels, of course.) Those two minds working tandem ought to make for an interesting year!

I'm also pumped up about Dawson switching to Teaching Textbooks for Algebra. He has been doing Life of Fred, and it was totally necessary when we switched to it from Saxon. However, last week he came to me and said that his math is too easy. He said it's not that it's too easy, it's just that there aren't enough practice problems. (Huh??? Did I hear that right? Did my 14 year old student who prefers minimal work say that he wants more work? I even asked him twice and he said, "yes!") After seeing that many homeschool moms, whom I admire, love Teaching Textbooks, I decided to look into it. I was pretty sold after watching the demos and was going to order a used set. But, then I saw that the new version coming out in July does automatic grading and gradebooking. For and extra $65?? Totally worth it to me! So I put in my pre-order.

How about you? Have you started purchasing next year's curriculum? What are you most excited about studying???

Comments

  1. Oh yes, I am very familiar with the excitement of planning, pondering, preparing for another year... i.love.it....
    my technique is much different now though, cuz the curriculum I stumbled across 2 yrs ago provides the full 12 years...no more purchasing, but I can plan how I apply it *cheesy grin*
    We will be heading into the Lewis & Clark expedition next year... and we are looking forward to it. =)
    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I smiled when I saw this post about planning for next year. I am chomping at the bit, but I am trying to make myself stay focused on what we have to finish this year. I love all the planning that goes with getting ready for the new year and it could take over everything if I let it.

    My soon-to-be 14 yo has decided to go back to school in the fall and will be a freshman. This leaves me with a 12 yo at home. We have circled back to the Ancients for next year and he is very excited about that. I also know we will be doing Biology and I think I know which program I will be getting for that. He will be starting Saxon Algebra I in the fall. Barb at the Harmony Art Mom blog has a free Geography study that I think we might use. I'd also like to add more art and cooking and other hands-on activities.

    My younger son likes the hands on activities more, so I hope with only him at home I will do a better job of incorporating them.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a