Skip to main content

The Homeschool Mother's Journal

It's gonna be a hot one here in Oklahoma this week! The temps are going to be right at or above 100 degrees everyday. What does that mean? That means we are going to keep it indoors as much as possible. That's good anyway because we were out of the house for the past four days in a row and we need some down time. The house is a mess and we are leaving for a long 4th weekend on Saturday so I want to get us prepared to be gone.


In my life this week ... This week will be all about organization, getting slightly ahead and making sure the house is nice and clean. Kyndal will be at church camp all week so I will have an opportunity to get in her room and do some recon. I like the house to be organized and clean when we go away for a few days, so that will be my main goal.

In our homeschool this week… I thought I would build on our trip to the Blue Bell Creamery tour we went on this week by making our own ice cream in a baggie. We will have a science experiment and math lesson out of it. Eli will be finishing up his Summer Reading Program. Brynne will continue to work toward her personal goal of reading 60 books this summer.

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing… During the week I only plan on us going to the library and recycling center and going to our Co-op Playgroup on Wednesday. Then on Saturday we will be leaving for a long weekend trip to Missouri to see my parents for the 4th holiday. We will also be saying good-bye to their house because they have sold it and purchased a smaller one. It will be a bittersweet weekend because of all of the memories in that house.

My favorite thing this week was… having my WHOLE family together for a day when we went to the ice cream factory. We hardly ever get it worked out where we all go to the same place at the same time. Someone always seems to be missing.

What’s working/not working for us… The no-schedule schedule is working great this summer. We have general things we want to accomplish every week, but I have been so good about not being a stickler for a schedule to make it happen! I haven't been nearly as concerned about us getting out of the house at a certain time, to a place at a certain time or home at a certain time.

Questions/thoughts I have… I am needing a good mommy/daughter devotional that would be a good fit for a 6 year old. After reading a chapter in Seasons of a Mother's Heart by Sally Clarkson, I decided to have a "Titus 2sday" standing date with my 16 year old daughter on the first Tuesday evening of the month and a regular devotional time with Brynne at 7:00 on Tuesday evenings. Kyndal and I will have much to talk about, but I would like a devotional or something that would give Brynne and I good topics to discuss. Any suggestions?

Things I’m working on… those U.S. History binders, ice cream math and science lessons for this week, and a China unit (we still haven't seemed to get to this.)

Books I’m reading… Blue Like Play Dough by Tricia Goyer, Seasons of a Mother's Heart, by Sally Clarkson (reading with the moms in our Co-op Playgroup), More Faith in My Day by Emilie Barnes (my daily devotional).

A photo, video, link, or quote to share… I want to take Your Word and shine it all around, but first help me to just live it, Lord. And when I'm doing well, help me to never seek a crown. For my reward is giving glory to You. ~ "Oh Lord, You're Beautiful" by Keith Green.


School takes on many forms in the summer months. Hop on over to The Homeschool Chick to see what it looks like in other homes.

Comments

  1. Our very first homeschool field trip six years ago was to the Blue Bell factory! Are you in Texas?

    Mary :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from the Homeschool Chick. We used to live in Texas and now live in Alabama, so I know you're going to be hot this week! We're spending a lot of time in doors, too.

    The Blue Bell field trip and ice cream making experiment sound like fun. I've made ice cream in a plastic bag with my children before, and it was fun!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a