Skip to main content

Study America Saturday ~ The Declaration of Independence


Dawson has been very engaged in The Declaration of Independence this past week. We used a lot of materials from the America's Heritage cd I received free from The American Heritage Education Foundation, Inc. I have said this before, but this is a really great resource.
  • He read about all of the signers and then did a crossword puzzle with questions about the characteristics of the signers.
  • He took a scramble of the Declaration, cut it apart and put it back in order.
  • He is now working on a worksheet, completing vocabulary words and answering questions.
This week he will be completing the worksheet, doing some notebooking pages on John Hancock, George Washington, and Valley Forge, and memorizing the Preamble. (He is not excited about doing this!)

** Does anybody have any memorization techniques that might make this easier for him? **

We completed reading The Winter of Red Snow: The Revolutionary War Diary of Abigail Jane Stewart.


Although the book was interesting enough, it was not one of Dawson's favorites. Maybe it's because it was written in diary form by a girl. I don't know. We had a couple more books come in on the subject matter, so we are trying to decide which one we will read this week. I'm leaning toward Yankee Doodle Boy by Joseph Plumb Martin (my original choice). Dawson is leaning toward The Fighting Ground by Avi.

Brynne and I didn't do any history lessons this week because we had some Science we needed to get caught up on.

If you had some lessons this week you would like to share, link up below! Don't forget to add my button. You'll have to right-click it and save it as a .jpg, and add it to your post a picture. I can't get the code to stay on and work.

Comments

  1. I downloaded American Heritage, but not sure how we're going to use it yet.

    Jake is excited about using America: Story of US. I think he's already seen all the movies a few times, but we'll add in reading the book that goes with the videos and the episode vocab and questions and mapping. I requested "Blood on the River" for him, but still waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great history program you have made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We only did history once this week and I didn't get any pictures. Hopefully I can join up next Saturday.

    I wish I had a fun memorization technique to share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we are a week behind yall :)

    I am looking forward to linking up next week when we have something a little more interesting to post!!!

    I love this linky!!!

    Kellye

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...