Skip to main content

When Life Disrupts Your Plans ~ A Benefit of Homeschooling


Oh Yesterday, I am glad you are over.

I ran into town yesterday morning, after dropping Eli off at school, to take one of our dogs for his grooming appointment. I planned to stop by Walmart and then be home by 10:00 a.m. I gave Dawson and Brynne instructions to start their independent work while I was gone.

After going to Walmart, I ran through the bank. As I drove away, I heard a "thump, thump, thump" that was only indicitive of a flat tire. Huh?? I pulled back into the parking lot and saw a huge screw sticking out of my tire that I had picked up while at the bank.

I called Rick and he told me to go back to Walmart because that's where we got the tires and we have road hazard insurance. I creeped back, pulled into the shop, and was told that it would be one to two hours before they could get it fixed.

So much for being home by 10:00 a.m.

I called Dawson and told him to get out his planner and for him and Brynne to do absolutely as much as they could do on their own.

I took the opportunity to do some Easter shopping ... and then some browsing at Kohls ... and then some browsing at Walmart. Each time I went back to the automotive department I was told it would be a little longer. I told them that I thought this was a conspiracy against my husband because each time they told me that, I walked away and spent more money somewhere.

FINALLY they got the tire fixed and I was ready to head home. Except it was time to pick Buck up from the groomer, and I still needed to stop by the library.

I got home at about 12:30 p.m.

I would love to say that all schoolwork was done by the time I got home, but it wasn't. When I pulled in the driveway, Dawson was laying on the ground shooting Brynne's de-armed lifesize Barbie with an airsoft gun. Brynne was cheering him on. I guess they needed a break.

We came inside, ate some lunch, and got busy with some group work.

But the interruptions of our day were not yet complete. Dawson had a dentist appointment at 2:15 p.m. to put brackets on some of his teeth in preparation for his oral surgery that is next Monday.

While he was at the dentist, Brynne and I went to the post office and picked up a prescription. We picked up Dawson, then Eli from school, and then were home at about 3:45 p.m. At 4:30 p.m. I said, "Okay, everybody ... when I say 'ready, set, go', we are all going to run to our bedrooms and put on our pajamas." Yes, it had been a long day.

And what does this have to do with our homeschooling journey?

These days happen.

And the benefits of homeschooling is that they don't completely wreck your life. Dawson got about half done what he was needing to do yesterday, and Brynne did just about everything. Today we'll pick up with what wasn't completed and just move forward. No damage done. No worries.

A lesson was still learned, and a pretty valuable one: Life sometimes gets in the way of your plans. When that happens, you just have to adjust and do the best you can. Some things really can wait until tomorrow.



Comments

  1. ahhhh.... well, at least you got some alone time and browsing in Kohl's. That was good for your mental health, right? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from The Crew! I love your blog, I'll have to tuck it away to read more! I am an avid birder, and I have a 14 yr old 8th grade son.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep! Life does sometimes HAPPEN and gets in the way of our plans, but it's never for nothing. You got a number of errands completed and repaired tires and they kids got some school day and brother-sister bonding...and there's A LOT to say about afternoon PJs! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a