Skip to main content

Chess House {Schoolhouse Review}



 photo chess_zpsdef27258.jpg

If I have learned anything while being a home educator, it's that education sometimes happens outside regular classroom hours and does not always look like a textbook assignment. This month the kids were given a priceless opportunity to review the Starter Chess Learning Kit from Chess House and learn to play chess. They have wanted to learn to play chess for a really long time, but I certainly didn't know how to play it.


Thanks to our new friend National Master Elliott Neff, our entire family knows how to play chess now.



What We Received

As part of the review, we received a dvd entitled Elliott's Chess School #1 PAWN Level DVD, a bonus booklet with practice positions and challenges, a vinyl mat chessboard, black and cream plastic chess pieces, and a handy carrying case (ours was green, but black is also available).




How We Used the Product

The dvd contains 10 lessons on the beginning Pawn Level. Each video is just a few minutes long and covers the rules and strategies of each of the chess pieces, as well as a couple of beginning game strategies.


The kids would watch the video and then practice the activities for that level that are contained in the activity booklet. They did this for several days in a row until they learned how to use all of the chess pieces in a game. Then they could actually play a full game against each other.


I watched all of the videos with them and discussed the content with them to make sure they understood everything they were hearing. I facilitated the activities, and then just watched them play. Have I played a game with either of them? Heck no! I'm not going to voluntarily subject myself to a situation where they can beat me! And beat me they would! They are good!


They did spend a couple of hours playing against their daddy this week. Although he showed no mercy and beat them in each game, he said they played really well. Then he watched them play a couple of games and helped them move through some strategies.



Our Opinion

This is kind of a hard review to write because, seriously, you watch the videos and then play chess. It's that easy. This is an awesome product! The instruction is so simple that any beginner can learn from it! Eli and Brynne are 9 and 8 years old and they easily learned how to play chess in about a week of lessons. There was never any confusion about how to play.

We were going to be leaving for our annual vacation to Florida in the middle of the lessons. The kids insisted on taking the chess set with us so that they could continue the final lessons and play while on vacation. What kids headed to the beach are thinking about playing chess? Kids who love Chess House, that's who.

I have only one suggestion, and it is minor. It would be nice if the zippered compartments that contain the plastic chess pieces had velcro and attached to the traveling case so they could be pulled out and placed on the table next to the chess mat for easy collection of the pieces.


Product Details

The Starter Chess Learning Kit can be purchased at Chess House for $39.95. It is recommended for ages 6-12, however any beginning chess learner would benefit.

More reviews of the Starter Chess Learning Kit by Chess House can be read at the Schoolhouse Review Crew blog.


Photobucket

**********************


Comments

  1. My kiddos love chess too! They play a game every day before they start math, we found out that chess prepares your mind for math and they've had wonderful results.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...