Skip to main content

Weekly Wrap-up ~ A New Year


In our regular life this week…

There is only one word to describe us this week … LAZY! We have barely gotten out of our pjs all week, or left the house. We have watched tons of movies and even started Season 1 of Arrow on Netflix yesterday and got through eight episodes. Kyndal has now started back to school and Dawson goes back on Monday. I have been on a two-week holiday from my college teaching job but we start back on Tuesday. So, we are just soaking up the last of our Christmas break.


In our homeschool this week…

The little kids do not start back to school until January 13th, so we still have a week off. Although they might be getting a tad bored, I know they are not ready to start school again …. not just yet. Now that we have some snow on the ground, they are at least getting outside.


Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…

My mom stopped by yesterday for a few minutes. And Brynne had basketball practice last night and will again tonight. Other than that, we haven't seen anybody or gone anywhere. It has been so nice to have nothing to do!


A favorite thing this week was…

Do I even have to say it … hanging out at home in our pjs. I am a chronic over-committer and over-scheduler. I completely wore us out the last couple months of 2013. I think I might have learned my lesson, at least for a little while. We have really, really, really enjoyed having no obligations! I cannot say enough how much we have needed this time to rest and recoup.


What's in the kitchen this week ...

We have enjoyed some classic family favorites this week with spaghetti, tomato soup and grilled cheese, and will end our week with some Pigs in a Blanket (for the Mizzou vs. OSU game tonight) and homemade pizzas for the weekend. I will probably fix a bigger meal on Sunday night.


What we're reading ...

Mom:  First Sight by Danielle Steel. (Finished today … YES! Now I know why I do not read Danielle Steel anymore. Boring!!!) Moving on!

Eli: The Encyclopedia of Game Machines by Winnie Forster. (Actually, he's not really reading anything.)

Brynne: The Wimpy Kid Do-It-Yourself Book by Jeff Kinney.


Things we're working on…

I am working on a ginormous pile of laundry and doing a final post-Christmas declutter of the main floor of the house. I am also going to be making some applesauce as I have a box of apples I need to use before they go bad.


I’m grateful for …

Another week of holiday break before we resume schoolwork. With the exhaustion of the last months of 2013, I lost my homeschooling mojo. We regained some of our passion the last couple of weeks. But, what I learned most is that without a plan, we will fail. So, I want to do some planning this next week, and get some inspiration for some fun, so we are ready to go on the 13th. 


My progress on reading through the Bible in 2014 …

I am really wanting to read through the Bible this year. I am planning to read The Message, as it is a more conversational style. I have a plan set up and will start on January 15th. I plan to chart my progress here.


Money saved this week …

As I am going to attempt the reverse weekly savings plan this year, I saved $52 for the first week of January and $51 for the second week. That had to come out of our grocery budget, so we are tightening our belts in the extra food department. This savings plan will be difficult for the first half of the year, but I am really, really, really wanting to stick with it. Doing this will provide us with our Christmas budget for 2014. And trying to save the bulk of the money in the last half of the year just does not work.

I also added $3.05 to my change jar. I am not going to spend any change this year and will dump my wallet each week to save that change.


I exercised ...

Starting next week, I am going to do some type of exercise each morning. This week, you know LAZY week, I didn't do much. Kyndal and I did get out and walk on Sunday in the frigid temps. We walked a good couple of miles round trip.


What's coming up this week ...

Brynne has her first basketball game on Saturday. After we get home we will stop by the bowling alley so Eli and Brynne can make up their league games they will miss because of Brynne's game. On Sunday we have Sunday school and church. Dawson goes back to school on Monday. I start back to teaching on Tuesday. Otherwise we will be taking advantage of as much relaxation time as possible! Once we start back to our regular studies it will be 'full speed ahead' until our Spring Break.


A photo, video, link, or quote to share (silly, serious or both!)…

They don't call them 'lap dogs' for nothing. They are enjoying our break, too!







Comments

  1. The picture of you looks so much like Brynne! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy that extra week off! We are starting back Monday and totally ready. Well, mentally, we are ready. The school room is a nightmare, but here I am goofing off online!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a good saving plan. Quick Question do you still do the envelope cash system or cards and just take that money out?

    After the whole Target thing I really want to do cash for that kinda stuff, however hubby is not on board and wants to still do cards.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a