Skip to main content

Weekly Wrap-up ~ Only One More!


Oh my goodness we only have one more week until we leave for Florida!!! We are SO ready for a break! `We are five days away from completing 60 straight days of schoolwork. Woo hoo!!!

The Past Week in our Regular Life

The most excitement we had this week was opening day at Dairy Queen! Of course we hit it up for lunch. Yum!!!


I finally broke down and went to the doctor for my stomach and heartburn issues. You know I am feeling really bad if I go to the doctor. I don't think I have gone to the doctor for an ailment in 10 years. My doctor placed me on a prescription strength Prilosec and we are praying for the best!

One of my good friends gave me a piece of advice about living in the moment. And I really started practicing that. There are so many rotten people out there, liars and deceivers who just do bad things. And when it affects your family it's hard not to dwell on it. But then that affects everything in your life and takes your focus off the things that are important. When you worry about how you are going to take care of your children, whether you will ever live in the same state with your husband again, it is easy for your current joy to be stolen. But when you are concentrating only on the moment where you are and really taking in all that is around you right then, then it makes things a lot more peaceful.

The Schooling Basics

Bible - We continue to listen to Brinkman Adventures each morning. It is a review product and my review will be coming up in a couple of weeks.

Grammar - We finished up subject and object pronouns.

Spelling - We are learning long o words in Souring with Spelling and the silent e in Wild Tales.

Handwriting - We finished Handwriting without Tears - Cursive Success! We are done with formal handwriting lessons!

Math - In Math U See Gamma we moved onto and finished Lesson 27 working on place value up to the millions. In Mastering 5th Grade Math - Fractions, we learned equivalent fractions. The concepts are getting a little more difficult, but they are doing well and keeping up. And in our CTC Math program, the kids completed 3rd grade division and have moved onto 4th grade division.

Writing - We didn't get any writing done this week.

Science - In Science4Us we completed the Earth and Space book and have moved onto Life Science. The kids completed the Living and Non-living Things module.

The Schooling Fun Stuff

I will have to admit that we are not having much fun in school right now. Instead we are crawling through our days trying to complete what needs to be completed! We have a had a successful week, just not real exciting.

We did study about Nebraska this week. We completed our notebooking page and watched the Nebraska episode on "The States". We read a couple of books and then watched a short documentary about Malcolm X, who was born in Nebraska. We had a good discussion about civil rights.

And the kids had another Lewis and Clark class at the library.

The Kitchen

We are down to the last slim pickens of our groceries. I realized that payday is not until MONDAY, so we are scrounging to use what we have without getting more groceries (with the exception of some  staples, like bread). So, we had cheeseburger macaroni, hot dogs and french fries, ate potluck at church where I took homemade cookies, ate chicken sandwiches real quick on Thursday before we had to leave for Brynne's basketball game, and are having pizza with a Little Ceasar's pizza kit I bought from a fundraiser at Dawson's school. Saturday and Sunday?? Who knows!

The Days Ahead

The last basketball tournament of this year is this weekend. The girls played last night and were horrible! They lost. They play their final game tomorrow morning. Nothing is planned next week except for school, packing, and getting ready for our trip!

The Books We are Reading

Mom: And the Mountains Echoed (finished .. finally) by Khaled Hosseini.

Brynne: A Big Year for Lily by Mary Ann Kinsinger and Suzanne Woods Fisher.

Eli: Big Nate: Flips Out (finished) and Big Nate: On a Roll by Lincoln Peirce.

Read Aloud:  Papa and the Leprechaun King by Arthur Cola.

The People and the Places

We headed to Kyndal's school to get haircuts today. She gave me a trim with some new side-swept bangs. Adorable!

Then other than basketball and church, and a quick trip to DQ, we didn't go anywhere or see anybody this week. Home is where I want to be anyway. I love my home and the people in it.

The Savings Jar(s)

$2.55 went into the change jar.

The Bible in a Year

I finished Deuteronomy this week and am now up to Joshua 15. I am 1/5th of the way through my Bible in a Year schedule. Two verses jumped out at me when I read last night:

God told them, "Don't give them a second thought. I've put them under your thumb - not one of them will stand up to you." ~ Joshua 10:8.

It was God's idea that they all would stubbornly fight the Israelites so he could put them under the holy curse without mercy. ~ Joshua 11:20.

Never doubt that God isn't in control of every situation, both good and bad, and that He will not be made a fool.


This is something I am really praying about and trusting God for right now. But peace takes a pursuit by me. Circumstances steal peace. God and His will provide it. He has a plan, no matter if I understand it or not. Trusting in His plan will provide that peace that surpasses all understanding.

The Favorite Things




Looking forward to a whole lot of this!

Linking up





Comments

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a