Skip to main content

Wednesday Hodgepodge


Elizabeth Lawrence is quoted as saying, "Even if something is left undone, everyone must take time to sit still and watch the leaves turn." So have you done just that? And what did you leave undone to do so?

Does this mean literally taking time to watch leaves or metaphorically, like taking time to stop and smell the roses? I am not one who is afraid to let things go in order to appreciate the sweet things of life. I have literally sat on my porch swing and stared at the colored leaves while I am thinking about all of the leaves on the ground that need raked. I don't care a thing about putting aside a task I "need" to do to, instead, sit and drink a cup of tea while taking in the beauty of things around me. My soul needs it. There have been times that I have scrapped a homeschool lesson just to listen to my kids laughing and playing together in the next room. I have left loads of laundry undone to spend time with one of my older kids watching a television show or going for a walk. On the days where I check every single thing off my 'to do' list without taking a moment to breathe, I find that I have not had much of an appreciation anything.

Since we're talking turning .... what's one thing you feel you're doing 'every time you turn around'?

You have read this answer at least three times in the past couple of weeks. Every time I turn around, and I mean almost every time, I see one or more of my couch pillows on the ground. The dogs and kids knock them off a gazillion times a day. Yes, a gazillion.

How hard is it for you to 'turn the other cheek'?

It. is. not. easy. Not at all. I do find that I am getting a tad better at it, though, especially if I am dealing with someone who is ignorant.

When did you last turn a drawer, your car, a room, or your entire house upside down looking for something? Did you find it?

Right now I cannot find a pair of Nike basketball pants I bought Brynne at the end of the season last year. They are really nice and I got them really cheap. I know that I put them away somewhere "clever" so that I would find them at the beginning of basketball season. But I have unloaded clothes tubs, looked through all dresser drawers and closets, looked in athletic bags, and I cannot find them ANYWHERE! I am sure I will find them right at the end of the season. It drives me crazy!!

'One good turn deserves another" ... were you most recently on the giving or receiving end of that sentiment?

Gosh. I can't really think of anything specific. I try to always be kind to others when I am out and about .. let someone go ahead of me in a checkout line, hold a door open for someone, ask if there is anything I can do to help someone. I always just hope that my act of random kindness might brighten the day of that person to where they will feel inspired to be kind to someone else.

Red, yellow, and orange are the colors of fall. Also the colors of fruit. If you were permitted only one color of fruit in your diet, which would you choose? This question isn't as easy as it sounds, at least not for me.

It would be purple. I don't eat a ton of fruit, but when I do it's either blueberries or purple grapes.

The Hunt for Red October, October Sky, Halloween ... which "October" film is your favorite?

I haven't seen any movies with the word 'October' in the title, but the movie that always plays in October that we love is "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown". Any Charlie Brown movie is loved at our house.

Insert your own random thought here.

Dawson and I have been watching Season 1 of Game of Thrones on dvd at night after the little kids go to bed. (Do you know how much it means to your kids to set aside time doing something with only them?) After the episodes we end up in some pretty deep conversations. After he shared with me some hurts he has experienced recently, he told me that he had just sent me something to my phone that he wanted me to keep. He said it was what he has been leaning on to help him with his pain.


I am so grateful for strong relationships with my kids and that even though we are close, they know the real source of their comfort and strength.

Comments

  1. I love your Random. So true.

    I think you should redesignate your couch pillows as floor pillows. Would that help? ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a