Skip to main content

Wednesday Hodgepodge



What's something that has recently 'tried your patience'?

Florida drivers. If you are from Florida I apologize, but my experience this past week has been that they are rude! If you need to get over in a lane, forget about it. If there is a detour that has been mandated, you can bet Florida drivers are going to cut you off to get in front of you. It was really crazy to me for it to be so obvious!

Do you think patience comes to us naturally or is it something you have to learn as you grow? On a scale of 1-10 generally how patient are you? (1= I blow at the drop of a hat and 10= I've got all the time in the world.)

Patience is definitely something I have developed over the years. My patience level used to easily be a 1. But I now have an uncanny ability to just move through frustrations more easily. It does sometimes actually take me talking myself through those times. I just remind myself that it's okay, there is (usually) nothing I can do about it, and it will all work out. I also take deep, cleansing breaths. I would give my patience level about an 8 now.

Share about a time when you felt like you could fly. Or a time you wished you could fly. Or a time you felt like you were flying.

Last Thursday morning, as I was starting my morning in Florida, I received a phone call from Kyndal in Missouri. She was at her routine OB appointment where they had just learned that her baby no longer had a heartbeat. And I couldn't be with her. She was alone. It was a routine appointment so she went alone, although if I had been home I would have gone with her because that's just what we do. Collin was at work, and she was not able to get ahold of him. Nothing mattered to me at that moment than to get someone to her immediately. I called Dawson, and he and Taylar rushed there, as did her Mother-in-Law. I would have given anything to have been able to have flown right to her side.

Your favorite song with the word 'fly' in the title or lyrics, or your favorite song that relates to flying in some way?

"Fly Like an Eagle", the Seal version.

What's in your fall picnic basket and where are we picnicking in your neck of the woods this time of year?

We are picnicking at Farrington Park in my little hometown watching the kids play and admiring the beautifully changing leaves and the wildlife on the pond. Our basket contains sandwiches, grapes, apple slices, and some homemade pumpkin bread.

Photo credits go to my friend Heather who posted this on IG today.

Carpentry, electrical, plumbing, landscaping ... which skill would you most like to possess and how would you put that skill to use today?

Definitely carpentry. I would tear down our back covered porch, repair the garage roof, and build an enclosed breezeway between the garage and the house. I would also gut our bathroom and redo the whole thing.

What's something you think is too expensive to justify buying lately?

I want a pair of Tieks flats, but they are about $175. I have learned over the years that when it comes to shoes, you get what you pay for. I like basics, and I want those basics to last for years. For instance it is worth it to have Ugg boots, Brooks running shoes, and even name brand slippers because they last forever and are comfortable. Although I cannot justify buying a pair of Tieks flats right now, I know that I will wear them for many, many years so I am planning to use my Christmas money from my parents to buy a pair.

Insert your own random thought here.

As we continue to grieve the loss of our sweet grandchild, please keep Kyndal and Collin in your prayers. It has been a difficult week for them, but they are strong in their faith and are comforted in knowing that their baby is with Jesus. It doesn't take away from the pain, but they know that all things work for God's glory. They have been assured that there is no reason to not try to conceive again in the next couple of months, and they will do so because being a mommy is Kyndal's greatest desire. We were blessed for a short time with this little life, but it will impact us for a lifetime.


Comments

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about the baby Nicole :-( I know you all must be hurting. Prayers being sent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very sorry to hear about the loss of your grandbaby. You are in my thoughts and I just said a prayer for your family.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a