Skip to main content

Tuesday Coffee Chat




It's Giving Tuesday. Will you Participate?

Honestly, I didn't know there was such a thing as Giving Tuesday. But, it's a great concept!

We don't have any plans to give specifically today. But we do try to be mindful of those in need, especially during the Christmas season, and here are a couple of things we are doing this year.

Turkey Trot 5K. I registered for and ran in a 5K on Thanksgiving morning to benefit a nearby children's therapy center. That is a good way to give, if you are a runner. I am certain there will be lots of Christmas-themed races this month. You can locate races in your area at Running in the USA.

Salvation Army Angel Tree. We always try to donate gifts to some sort of gift giving organization every year. This year we purchased gifts for an 8 year old little girl off of the tree at Walmart. Just look in the entrance of many stores for an Angel Tree, grab your angel, and purchase the gifts. My kids are spoiled for Christmas, so it feels great to be able to be a part of brightening the holidays of another child.

Soldiers' Angels No Sew Blanket Drive. The kids in our WWII enrichment class are working on a No Sew blanket as part of this drive to send to a deployed soldier. You can go HERE to find out how to participate. The kids are also interested in adopting a soldier whereby we will write him or her a letter once each week and send a care package once a month. This way we can give all year.

And this is what we are up to. Giving is such an important time of the holiday season. What ways are you giving?

Comments

  1. I think it is cool that you have found a healthy way to give of yourself. You must get extra points for this. Happy holidays to you & yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Love the idea of the Soldier's Angel!!! I'll have to look into the one. hubby is ex military reserve so I think he will enjoy participating in that one a lot. And of course as you say, something you can continue all year.
    Maybe by next year my fitness routine will have finally got me to the place where I could do a charity run too. That would be a new exciting way to give back as well. Thank you for all that you do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...