Skip to main content

Weekly Wrap-up ~ Has it Been Two Weeks Already?


Time is flying by this winter. I doubt we are the only homeschoolers out there who are just in the winter groove, which means there aren't quite as many "exciting" photo-worthy activities happening. Or maybe it is just us. We just seem to be spending our days getting all of our necessary work done, throwing in some unit studies when they are relevant. Mostly we have our noses to the grindstone.


So what you are getting here is just a report that we have been getting in six or so hours of schooling every day, covering all of our required subjects and learning lots. All of our concepts in math and grammar are getting more difficult so the assignments take a bit more time to complete each day.

We are reading a lot every day. Not only are the kids reading their own personal books as much as they can, but we are also reading every day out of Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis and Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank.


WWII consumes the majority of the rest of our time. We spent President's Day learning about Harry S. Truman's role in the war, we have started to work our way through the atrocity of the Holocaust (even spending several days slowly watching Schindler's List), and learning about Jesse Owens and his role in the Olympics of 1936 in Germany. That gave us the excuse to go to the movies and see Race, which was excellent.

Extra-curricular activities have launched into full gear with Eli and Brynne both bowling each Saturday getting ready for state tournament, Brynne finishing up her regular season basketball games,  and Brynne attending Girls on the Run two days a week training for the organization's 5K in May. Eli and I are also doing some training on the same afternoons.

We are just really busy, but doing really well. We are on track to finish exactly where I hoped we would this year. In the next couple of weeks we have some fun unit studies planned surrounding Dr. Seuss's birthday and the Iditarod. We have a trip to Georgia, Alabama, Florida, and Louisiana planned in April, where we will get in some great educational hours, and we hope to be done with our regular school year by the first of May.

2015-2016 Hours Logged - 688 1/2 hours out of 1,000 required hours (225 hours outside home)
Plus 83 Summer Hours





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a