Skip to main content

Wednesday Hodgepodge


Can you believe we're rolling into the Labor Day weekend? What's a project you'll labor over this fall?

Well, I won't exactly be physically laboring over it myself, but I will be supervising it, hearing it constantly, and cleaning up after it. We just started a renovation at our house on Monday turning our attic into a master suite and second living area. Our roof is getting replaced tomorrow. Then we are gutting and completely renovating our one bathroom, tearing down a garage, adding a privacy fence, and installing a new HVAC to our ground floor.



Tell us about the best perks you ever had in a job?

You know, the best thing I can think of was when I had health insurance that I paid an extra $15 a month for (because my employer paid the base cost) that had a maximum yearly out-of-pocket amount of $100. Man, those days are over!

August 31st is National South Carolina Day. Have you ever been to SC? Any desire to go? According to Southern Living, these are the top ten things to do in South Carolina ... explore Charleston; bike, golf, or relax on Hilton Head Island; see the beach and boardwalk at Myrtle Beach; visit the state museum in the capital city Columbia; observe the wildlife and natural beauty of the Ace Basin; take a walk or. hop on a trolley and check out Greenville's charming Main Street; visit Fort Sumter where the Civil War began; stroll through Pearl Fryar's Topiary Garden in Bishopville leaving time to check out The Button Museum, also in Bishopville; see Morgan Island (also known as Monkey Island) - home to nearly 4000 Rhesus monkeys. Which is the most appealing to you today? If you're a SC native, resident, or frequent visitor what would you add to the list?

Take me to Charleston! Then move on to that relaxation on Hilton Head Island, a walk on the beach at Myrtle Beach, and finish it off with a walk through Greenville.

Beef, pork, country-style, barbecued, baby back, spare or short ... your favorite kind of rib? What's a dish you enjoy that really 'sticks to your ribs'?

I am not a huge rib eater or barbecue fan, but I do have a crock pot boneless pork rib recipe with homemade barbecue sauce that is pretty good. That with some cheesy potatoes and garlic sautéed green beans, and I am pretty happy. I would prefer a good meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and corn, however!

What's one important skill you think every person should have? Why?

Car repair. Because it's something you almost always have to pay a lot of money to have done. Wouldn't it be great if we could diagnose our own car problems and fix them without the stress of hundreds, and sometimes thousands, of dollars for something we have to have, so we are forced to come up with the money? Even the little issues cost a ton to diagnose and get repaired.

Insert your own random thought here.

Blogging is something that has been hit or miss with me the past couple of years, especially since I opened an Instagram account. It's just so much easier to take a quick snapshot and post a small paragraph about it. But I love blogging! And I want to keep it up. I have so many things I could talk about but then talk myself out of it believing that nobody really wants to hear my jabbering. My confidence level in a lot of areas has been a little squished, and I think that has been reflected in my lack of blogging. Should I post about the things that are on my mind? I haven't yet decided. I have a few ideas to get back into something a little more regular. Maybe I will.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a