Skip to main content

Wednesday Hodgepodge


What pets did you have growing up? Tell us a little something about them.

We had various dogs, a couple of cats, a bunny for a night, and a pig for a night. Our longest running pets were Squeaky, my dog who hated everybody but me and hid under the couch all the time and snapped at everyone; Frisky, my brother's sheltie mix who was such a love; Cassie, the stray cat we fed behind my parents' back and then kept; and then her kitten, Battle Cat (named after HeMan that my brother LOVED). Battle Cat was such a big baby and still nursed to go to sleep off his mama when he was a grown cat. Cassie disappeared one day and Battle Cat was so distraught we had to give him away.

What is one thing you absolutely must accomplish today?

You know, this is the first day in many, many days where I don't have ANYTHING I must accomplish! So if I had to choose something, I guess I would say getting some one-on-one schoolwork done with Eli. He's been doing an abundance of independent work while I have been putting in some extra hours at the library. He has done so great, and I am so incredibly proud of him! But I miss our couch time reading and activities.

Where were you ten years ago? What were you doing there?

It was actually almost exactly 10 years ago (like within a week or two) that we were moving into our newly built custom home in Owasso, Oklahoma. What were we doing there? Making the biggest mistake ever.

September 26th is National Dumpling Day. Did you celebrate? Apple dumpling, Xiao long bao (steamed Chinese dumpling), chicken and dumplings, pirogi, matzoh balls, or gnocchi ... which dumpling on this list would be your dumpling of choice? Have you ever made homemade dumplings of any kind?

First of all I thought that said National DUMPING Day. Knowing what it really says changes my answer dramatically! (lol!) Chicken and dumplings would be my choice. I have made them homemade before, but really I just prefer dropping some cut up refrigerated biscuits into my creamy homemade thick chicken soup and serving it over rice.

There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find an adventure and those who go secretly hoping they don't. ~ William Trogdon. So which kind are you?

I do love to find adventure, even though I am not extremely adventurous. That's not really true. I love adventure, I'm just not a thrill-seeker. I love to dig deep and find meaning and history and hidden treasure.

Insert your own random thought here.

Exciting news .... Dawson is moving back home for the next couple of months! He has been living in Dallas and, financially, it is just not the best situation. Since our contractor could use an extra pair of hands to help him finish our attic renovation, Dawson has taken me up on my offer to move back home until it's completed. He will get to live back home for free, save any money he can (he's hoping to go back to his former job part-time), and get everything prepared to get enlisted into the Air Force. We are very happy to have him coming back home, especially for his birthday and the upcoming holidays. This is a win-win situation for all of us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a