Skip to main content

So What Does My Fitness Journey Look Like Now?


In my last post I shot rocket launchers at Beachbody. I have reviewed that post, and I meant every word written. But one positive thing that came out of my Beachbody experience is that it gave me even more insight into what works for me in my fitness journey.

Facts:

  • I am not 25 years old.
  • I will, actually, be 48 years old this August.
  • There are things a 48 year old body should not be trying to do like a 25 year old body.
  • Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.
  • Don't try to fix what ain't broke.
And what this all means is that doing heavy lifting and harsh movements on my body was not wise and even caused some injuries that might be more than long term. I have a jacked up calf muscle and wrist all because I was making my body do things it really didn't need to do. I proved that I could do all of the workouts, but that doesn't mean all of the workouts were what was best for my body. When I looked back over the past five or so years and identified the types of workouts that provided me with the most joy, consistency, and strength, it was running. 


But even with running I had to be careful. I enjoyed running when I did it consistently for about 30 minutes a day, or about 2 miles. I did not enjoy running when I was training for a certain run or trying to increase my distance or trying to increase my speed or when I was running with other people doing the same. That, I did not enjoy at all.

Once running became something I had to do instead of something I got to do, it lost its allure.

So after Christmas I bought me a cheap, compact treadmill (no bells and whistles) to have in my bedroom in front of my t.v. Yes, I enjoy running on a treadmill, especially when it's 20 degrees outside, while watching t.v. I don't dread it. I actually enjoy it. And, it gives me the opportunity to catch up on binge-worthy shows on Netflix and Hulu when I don't have the time to actually binge watch them. I just got caught up on Game of Thrones and am now watching You. I look forward to the time because I enjoy what I am doing. And some days, when I have just been sitting too much (which is most days because I work at my desk at home 6-9 hours a day), I just hop on my treadmill for a midday 15 minute speed walk to get my body moving.


Every once in a while I get in the mood for a strength routine. When that (rarely) happens, I get on Youtube and pull up a Pop Sugar workout routine (aka FREE Beachbody, because the workouts are virtually the same without the annoying trainers). I can do anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour depending on what I am wanting to accomplish.

And when the weather gets nicer, I will get back out and run on the pavement. Fresh air is nice. And I like to ride my bike on the trails, so I will make that more of a priority this spring and summer.


Other than just taking the stairs, parking as far away from the entrance to a store as possible, and walking to in-town errands when the weather is nice, that's all I am doing right .... 30-40 minutes a day of low impact (because I am 47 years old, not 25) walking and running while trying to eat healthy 70% of the time. But that's for another post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a