Skip to main content

Weekly Wrap-up ~ A Big Week


This was our last week of summer break. It was another relaxing and great week. But, again, no pictures.

The Past Week in our Regular Life

We have spent this past week preparing for Kyndal to move across town. This doesn't just include her, but Chloe as well. Kyndal has lived away from us for a time when she lived with her dad. Chloe has not. Now, before we get all weepy, Kyndal will be here every morning dropping off Chloe and probably expecting a packed lunch to go to school. Then she'll be here every evening to pick up Chloe and probably scam some more food. Until they are able to afford a washing machine, she'll be here doing her laundry. And, if Collin's work schedule keeps him away from home any evenings, you can bet she'll be parked on my couch because she hates to be alone. I am not worried about the transition. I am just more excited for her future. And, getting your first house is pretty cool.

Dawson also completed his junior year of high school. I cannot even begin to wrap my mind around the fact that he is now a senior in high school and so close to making his own life changes. He has plans, real plans, for his future, and it's fun to witness. Thankfully he won't be leaving home for at least the next five years while he goes to school.

Rick and I both had to deal with some unpleasantness from our past decisions this week. But that will likely never end so we just have to keep moving forward, trying not to let it get us down.

The Schooling Basics

Next week, folks … next week. (Secretly I am ready to get back into a routine of school work. I have been staying up way too late and sleeping in way too late in the mornings for my taste. Plus, even though the kids would NEVER admit it, I think they are a tad bored.)

The Schooling Fun Stuff

And nothing here either. We made sure we didn't do any schoolwork this week because we have known, full well, that next week we are back at it. We were lucky that we didn't even have our gardening class this week. I do have our first day of lessons ready for Monday. We are going to start with something a little fun.

The Kitchen

When Rick is here on the weekends I find myself cooking so much more healthy. We eat more fish and vegetables. During the week I fix what the kids like, which is usually pretty easy and thoughtless since they usually want the same things over and over. I enjoy planning meals that I know Rick will like, walking with him to the store to get the ingredients, and then fixing my man a good home-cooked meal.

The Days Ahead

Things get exciting today. Collin closes on his house this evening and he and Kyndal are moving into the house this weekend. We have spent the last month preparing for this move, both physically and emotionally. Collin is also starting his new ironworking job on Monday, so he is very excited and nervous. I am so proud of him. Although he is not my son-in-law as of right now, I still think of him as such. He's a great kid who loves my daughter and is a hard worker and all-over sweet guy. We enjoy having him in our family.

Brynne has a softball game tonight. Then we are heading over to the house for a painting all-nighter so they can move in their stuff tomorrow. Hopefully Rick and I will be able to get some time to stain our front porch this weekend, as well.

The Books We are Reading

Mom: A Woman's Place by Lynn Austin, A Life of Balance by Frank Belgau.

Brynne: A Surprise for Lily by Mary Ann Kinsinger and Suzanne Woods Fisher (on break from reading).

Eli: Big Nate: Goes for Broke by Lincoln Peirce (on break from reading).

Read Aloud:  The Raft by Robert Trumbull (on break from reading).

The People and the Places

My mom is off to Florida for a week with friends, so I am on Grandma duty (visiting my grandma at the nursing home). Other than that it's softball, watching baseball games of some friends, grocery shopping, and working over at the kids' house.

The Savings Jar(s)

I didn't put anything in the change jar this week. That's the first time this has happened this whole year! May is a looonnggg month for our finances and this week I have been driving on fumes (and doing lots of walking instead) and we have just made do with the food we have had. We dribbled out the last of the milk last night. I will be doing some grocery shopping this weekend, however, so I will have some to add then.

The Bible in a Year

I have read through Jeremiah 9.

The Favorite Things

I have been so proud of Dawson this week. He is working toward requirements for an A+ Scholarship that will allow him to attend any community college in our state for free to receive an associates degree. He is planning to attend school to major in Construction Technology. He had to take an extra math test as part of his qualification and he did it and scored well-above what he needed. He also stepped up with enough saved money to pay his car insurance even when he hadn't really had to save it over the last few months. He enjoys being responsible and has felt an immense amount of pride at his accomplishments. I have been equally as proud.

Really, I am just experiencing a lot of pride in my kids all the way around. They are a great bunch. I am blessed.

Linking up





Comments

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a