Skip to main content

Weekly Wrap-up ~ Hurray for May!


May just continues to restore my faith in good things coming to those who wait. As great as the past couple of years have been living here in Missouri, we have had our share of hardships. In fact, some things have caused downright misery. But this month has just brought more good news after more good news. We are a happy family. And we deserve some good things. We are soaking in the goodness and thanking God for His plan and provision.

The Past Week in our Regular Life

Rick starts his new job tomorrow. We are very excited about what this means for his future and our family.

Eli woke up on Wednesday morning with a tummy ache and had to do a day on the couch with a puke bucket close by.  But after a day of TLC by his mama, a night of hogging my covers in my bed, and sleeping in until 11:30 a.m. on Thursday, he was feeling much better.


I have spent almost every day cleaning out closets and switching out our winter and summer clothes.

The Schooling Basics

School is for losers! Just kidding! But we sure are enjoying the fact that we are on summer break this month! May rocks!

The Schooling Fun Stuff

On Thursday the kids in gardening class started filling the raised beds with soil. Those little kiddos worked so hard and got all of them filled in an hour except for one box. This class is going to be so awesome! We already have a really great recipe to try from our Nutrition Newsletter.


The Kitchen

Let's see … homemade pizza, tacos, pancakes and bacon, hot dogs, and burgers. It was an easy week. Then this weekend we did our first grilling and had steaks, pasta salad, grilled corn on the cob, homemade macaroni and cheese and fruit salad. Tonight we had "Chick-fil-a at Home" which is fried popcorn chicken, waffle fries and chocolate shakes. Rick and I had our popcorn chicken over a salad.

The Days Ahead

This is just going to be a good week. Life is moving along beautifully. I am enjoying my home, my garden, my newly planted flowers, my children. I am so excited for my husband's new job and the possibilities it opens up for us as a family. We will have an easy week of just hanging out as a family, doing some softball, getting Dawson through his last week before he becomes a senior in high school. I am looking forward to another weekend with everybody home for movies, meals, and projects around the house. Small town living is the best!

The Books We are Reading

Mom: A Woman's Place by Lynn Austin, Living So That by Wendy Blight.

Brynne: A Surprise for Lily by Mary Ann Kinsinger and Suzanne Woods Fisher (on break from reading).

Eli: Big Nate: Goes for Broke by Lincoln Peirce (on break from reading).

Read Aloud:  The Raft by Robert Trumbull (on break from reading).

The People and the Places

I had to go to an early morning court date on Thursday for my child support case. The good news is that it will all be over on Tuesday! Hallelujah and amen! Then we can all just get on with our lives without that cloud hanging over. It was a long day and I stopped and got groceries on my way home.

Brynne had her first softball game on Friday night. It was cold and raining. The girls lost 15-10, but they are a young team and really played well! Brynne pitched one inning and did a good job, especially under the pressure. She almost caught a pop fly and got a good hit. She really loves playing sports!


The Savings Jar(s)

I put $2.48 in the change jar this week.

The Bible in a Year

I have read through Isaiah 8. After the evil and brutality of I and II Kings, I am glad to start reading about the prophecy of the coming of Jesus.

The Favorite Things

My husband, my kids, my dogs, my family, my town, my home. Life just could not get much better.



Linking up





Comments

  1. I'm so glad things are going so well for your family!
    Chick-fil-a at Home...fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a